15: 𝕯𝖊𝖙𝖔𝖝𝖎𝖋𝖞𝖎𝖓𝖌

"And when should I be expecting Mr

"And when should I be expecting Mr.Lodge?" Smithers asked as his mom was tending to some plants.

"Not until the end of the month, but everything has to be perfect." She smiled as she fussed over the positioning of the plants. Veronica rolling her eyes as she ate as Mateo glanced between the two.

"Yes, we would not want to make Daddy angry." Mateo snorted when he heard Veronica's comment. It was always fun when she was mad at their father but she would crack soon. She always did.

"That'll be all, Smithers. Thank you." Hermione smiled as Smithers left before her head whipped around to face Veronica. "He's your father, Veronica, not The Godfather." She walked away as Veronica glanced up meeting his eyes.

"Fooled us once already." He mused as he glanced back down at his phone.

                                           ♥ ♥ ♥

"I told her I wouldn't do it. Not unless you're up there with us, Jug." Betty recounted the story to the table as Mateo glanced around the cafeteria. Stares surrounded them, but with his glance over, they quickly glanced away.

"I appreciate the righteous indignation, Betty, I do, but Jubilees aren't my thing." Jughead gave her a smile as he glanced up from his food.

"Jug, how's your dad? Did you get in to see him?"

"Here's the latest. Mayor McCoy wants my dad to name names in exchange for a lesser sentence." Jughead started to explain their situation as Mateo pushed around his food. The food on his plate matched the sinking feeling in his stomach.

"What? Whose names?"

"The Serpents. Sheriff Keller thinks they're the ones dealing the drugs that Clifford Blossom brought into the town." It seemed Mayor McCoy was ready to detoxify this town after the death of Jason Blossom and the secrets that decided to waft out as well.

"My dad says more and more drugs are hitting the streets." Kevin spoke up, instantly defending his dad at a moment's notice.

"Kevin, relax, this isn't The Wire." Jughead sneered.
"My dad says they're not the ones dealing."

"And meanwhile, Mayor McCoy hasn't even said the words "Clifford" or "Blossom" in public. It's all about how the Serpents are the problem, the villains. This is outrageous. I'm writing an article about this, and not just for The Blue and Gold, for The Register.
This is a town story." Betty plotted out loud.

"Okay, as long as the article doesn't include my dad." Pleading was not a good look on Jughead, but regardless it seemed Betty was getting riled up.

"No, it is going to be about your dad, Jug. It doesn't matter how many Jubilees Mayor McCoy throws.
This town's changed. That needs to be acknowledged. Why are people so afraid of the truth?" Betty argued as her face scrunched up. Internally groaning, he knew this fired up spirit of Betty's would bring some trouble.