Stolen

I was up late studying, everyone else had gone to bed and I was sat in the cold common room, the fire long since gone out.

My eyes were drooping and I was slowly falling asleep...

I woke with a start when the portrait swung open. I picked my wand up pointing it at the figure who stood before me.

"Shh, Lily its just me."

"Lumos." My wand lit up and James face winced with pain. His face was mauled, a long scratch from his eyebrow to his lip. His eye was black and his hair matted with blood.

"Oh James."

To my complete surprise tears began rolling down his face.

I ran over taking his hand, leading him to the sofa.

I wrapped my arms around him, feeling him shake with his tears.

"I... I'm sorry." He sat up wiping his face on his sleeve. 

"Don't be, you can cry as much as you want."

He smiled at me.

I grimaced at his face, "Here let me clean you up."

"Thank you." His face seemed older and more mature, I noticed the lines around his eyes, the lack of sleep. It wasn't a young boy who was sat in front of me, rather a man suffering the tortures of pain and worry.

I didn't want to use magic, the moment seemed too fragile and delicate to just magic away.

I picked up the empty bowl from the table, "Aguamenti, accio washcloth."

I wetted the cloth and leaned towards him, "This is going to hurt."

He nodded his eyes fixed on mine, I blushed looking down.

He put his hand on mine. Ugh Lily this was not the time to get flushed.

I wiped his cheek, removing the blood and mud his tan skin finally showing underneath.

"Where are the others? Is Remus ok?"

He looked at me with surprise, I shrugged. "I've known for a while now."

"Remus?"

"Yeah he told me, about you guys too. I respect you for what you did for him you know."

His face flushed.

"It's obvious how much you care for him."

"He's like our brother..." He looked down, "We couldn't just leave him or he would... he could..."

"Shh, it's okay I understand." I consoled.

I put my hand under his chin lifting it until his eyes met mine. His eyes were absent and stained with tears. I wiped the stray tear from his cheek.

His eyes widened.

"I'm sorry Lily." His face was sincere and sullen, "For everything."

I smiled at him softly, understanding.

"James, you have the biggest heart I have ever known. You are willing to sacrifice everything for those you love. I envy whoever you give your heart to." 

"Lily," He whispered my name, wincing as he lifted his hand to tuck a stray hair behind my ear, "I can't give my heart to anyone because you have already stolen it." His voice was quiet and sad.

A tear slipped down my face, I didn't deserve him; his heart, his love.

I brushed my lips against his. He smiled as he lay his head in my lap. His eyes closed slowly as his hair fell across his face. 

I carefully took the glasses off his nose, placing them on the table.

"I love you." I whispered as I kissed his head and let my own eyes close.