Chapter Eleven

"Don't worry, De. It's going to be fine."

"That's what you always say, Hil, and it always goes wrong!"

"Not this time!"

Amber was still a bit distracted by her rose in the pocket of her dress and tried to pay attention.

"Stop complaining, De," Amber said, taking her twin's side as per usual.

Dede sighed and watched with worried eyes as Hilda 'accidentally' knocked the latter over and allowed it to start a small fire in their room.

Dede knew she was going to regret this.

~

Nathan glanced between his two fathers as the two sat silently, both studying their textbooks side by side in the library.

Neither seemed to have acknowledged the other's existence more than a quick look when they had first sat down.

It was infuriating!

How was he supposed to get them to have him if neither of them ever spoke?!

~

The fire flickered and attached itself to the walls of the room with a vengeful passion.

The way it costed everything in sight was somehow a powerful message for the three witches.

It somehow jumped from one side of the room to the already torn up curtains to the other side.

They waited for another second before having Dede call out for help.

"Help! Somebody help!"

There was silence for a long moment and Hilda cursed the stupid Nevers in this castle.

Then she heard the full sound of boots.

Half a minute passed before three familiar forms appeared in the doorway.

Hester's demon detached from her neck and grabbed the one blanket that wasn't on fire, smothering the flames the best she could.

Anadil's finger glowed a bright green color and water fell from the roof a few feet above the fire and she helped Hester put the fire out.

Dot grabbed the three girls and herded them out of danger as quickly as possible.

The three witches had the flames under control in only a few moments and Hilda had to bite her lip to stop from smirking.

A support beam for the room fell and slammed against the floor with a sickening THUNK.

"What happened?!" Hester roared.

"Dede knocked the lantern over and started a fire."

"What?! I didn't knock it over!" Dede protested loudly.

Amber shook her head in disappointment.

"Dede, stop lying. We know it was an accident, but you have to deal with the consequences of your actions."

Dede looked at Amber with an expression of pure betrayal on her face.

When Hester, Anadil, and Dot looked away, both twins she her a quick apologetic look.

She looked away from them petulantly and crossed her arms in distaste.

"Come with me," Hester growled before stalking out of their, still smoldering, room.

The three followed after her.

Anadil stalked by her side, only a half step behind.

Dot hurried forward with a quick "Wait up, guys!"