Chapter Twenty-Nine

Anadil's eyes widened in disbelief as she entered the blue forest.

She just kissed Hester.

She kissed her.

Beatrix was in a similar state of shock as she gaped at Anadil.

She took that chance to scamper off.

She normally would have taken the opportunity to take the other girl's handkerchief and throw it to the ground...

But Anadil was in too much shock to do such a thing.

She just kissed Hester.

As in lip on lip contact was achieved.

As in she had kissed her.

Anadil went to the agreed upon meeting spot and tried not to wonder if Hester would actually show after what had just happened.

The thought haunted her, however, and she felt herself gulp at the idea.

What if she had ruined everything?!

But a small voice in the back of her head whispered the opposite.

What if she had just gained everything?!

~

Reena could hear the wolves this time and she knew what that meant.

Reena was officially in the blue forest.

She felt her heart beat quickening and she wondered if the girl would make it here okay.

She had just made it to the agreed upon meeting spot and she took a seat, her finger glowing bright gray as she waited for the other girl to make her way to the small bridge.

~

Hester was still staring at where Anadil had been.

Anadil... her Ani had just kissed her.

She was still trying to process what this meant.

She'd kissed her.

She didn't notice that everyone else in the tribute clearing was watching her with wide eyes.

She didn't notice that Agatha was grinning like a wild person.

And she could still feel where Anadil's lips had touched her own.

It was like they were on fire.

Anadil's lips had been cold, but that didn't matter.

She suddenly realized that everyone was gaping at her and she growled loudly, shooting them all glares that make several shrink back (including Hort).

There was nothing to look at.

But her mind was still on Anadil's touch on her lips as she went to sit down and wait for her turn to enter the blue forest.

~

Reena could hear footsteps and she grinned, jumping to her feet.

She ran toward the sound and was met by a large form.

She frowned in confusion.

Beatrix wasn't that tall...

And then suddenly the form came into the dim light that shone under the bridge.

It was a Never (though she was unsure of his name if she was being perfectly honestly... Vex, perhaps?) that was looking at her with a malicious glint in his eyes.

She realized that it was too late as she drew her bow.

The Never's finger was emanating with a darkness that engulfed all light within it and she didn't know what she was going to do.