Chapter Forty-One

The Evers were somewhat smug as they looked at the leaderboard.

Soon, they were taunting the Nevers and claiming that they had two while they had one.

Hilda's snort of laughter was enough to make everyone turn around and look at her.

"What's so funny?" another Never snapped.

She looked around with an incredulous expression.

"I wouldn't say there's two Evers against a Never."

Everyone looked at her and Milly was giggling.

She wouldn't have gone any further if Milly wasn't looking at her like that.

"Why?"

"Are they all working on their own?"

There were so many questions that Hilda almost snapped.

"It's pretty clear that Theresa and Amber are working together," Hilda said with a shrug.

Everyone gaped at her.

"Of course they are. And if they win, they're going to win together," Milly added.

There were tons of Evers and Nevers that were discussing the new information.

There were bets made about what was going to happen.

Many thought that Amber was going to betray Theresa.

Others thought that Hilda and Milly were playing a prank on them.

Some thought Theresa was planning the perfect moment to take Amber's kerchief.

Not a single person (outside of the kids from the future) thought that the two of them were going to work together.

~

Theresa could hear footsteps to the side of the clearing and the crunching of boots on sticks.

She froze and grabbed onto Amber's arm, pulling her back.

"Amb, there's someone here," Theresa whispered to the two other girls.

Amber glanced down at where Theresa grabbed her arm.

"Where?" she whispered.

But her question was unnecessary as another form walked into the clearing.

The sun was close to rising just a little ways over the horizon.

Nicola stepped into view with a small smirk on her face, watching the two of them.

"An Ever and a Never?"

Nicola laughed.

"What makes you think that your little witch won't betray you, Princess?" Nicola asked.

Theresa tightened her grip on Amber's arm and the Never glanced at her, wondering if Theresa could believe such a thing.

"And you, little witch, what makes you smile think that little miss perfect would be willing to win with a Never?"

Amber glanced at Theresa and felt the hand grasping her arm tighten again.

"Because we trust each other," Theresa said.

Her tone had changed.

It wasn't her usual carefree voice that she used everyday.

It was cold and strong, leaving no room for argument and sounded like a true leader, a wise queen rather than a young princess.

"You seem to believe that having an ally is a weakness. But both of us would have been disqualified by now without each other."

Nicola stared at the two of them.