Chapter Thirty-Four

Theresa took a deep breath and popped her neck four times.

Amber looked at her with shock.

"Is that healthy?"

"Aw, Amb is worrying about me."

Amber spluttered.

"What?! Am not!"

Theresa raised an eyebrow and grinned.

Hilda looked between the two and felt oddly out of place as her sister glared at the other girl and Theresa just grinned.

The Trail by Tale was about to start and all they knew about the last one was that Hester and Anadil had one.

Hilda and Amber had been smug and started talking about continuing the family tradition.

Theresa was practicing a few of her sword forms while she spun in circles.

Axel and Nathan were quietly talking together in a corner while Nathan kept glancing up at Serenity.

Each of them had stubbornly decided to go solo as if they had to prove something.

Serenity had her eyes glued to Dede as they discussed a few bits of their strategy.

Dede has glanced at Nicola and was wondering if the girl was going to be able to handle this well.

That was a silly thought.

She was Nicola of Wood Beyond, probably the smartest person she knew.

She glanced up and caught sight of Serenity.

Okay, maybe one of the two smartest people she knew, she amended while she looked at Nicola's daughter.

Milly was on her own and Hilda seemed a bit upset about that, so she walked over and started to talk quietly.

Amber noticed, but she didn't really think much about it as Theresa turned her attention to her.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you in there."

Amber opened her mouth, prepared to pick a fight and be unnecessarily confrontational (mostly because the idea of Theresa protecting her made her knees go weak).

But Theresa spoke first.

"And I trust that you'll have my back."

Amber swallowed and nodded, finding that she didn't really think she could form a coherent sentence at the moment.

Theresa beamed at her and then looked up as the wolves howled.

The first two were grabbed and shoved into the blue forest.

The Trial by Tale had begun.

They just all had to hope they were ready for it.

~

The first that was supposed to enter was Dede.

She took a deep breath and looked at the gates.

The wolves grabbed her and she allowed them to shove her inside.

The Ever beside her took off and she ignored the cowardly prince for the time being.

She knew that Nathan wold be in the blue forest shortly, but she also knew he didn't want to team up with her.

That meant that her only other ally was supposed to be... Serenity.

Which was great.

Serenity was smart, brilliant really, and they were great friends. Really close friends.