Chapter Forty-Two

"Shut up... and kiss me."

Theresa froze mid-sentence as she looked at Amber.

Wait, what?!

But before she could do or say anything, she felt Amber grab her face and pull her over.

Theresa gasped as lips connected with hers.

Her eyes were wide open and she could see Amber.

She didn't know why people always closed their eyes when they kissed.

She liked looking at Amber.

Amber still had her hands on Theresa's face and she had her eyes closed tightly. Her face was red and she looked like she was scared for what was going to happen when she pulled away.

Theresa felt a laugh bubbling up in the back of thee throat.

But she kept it in and forced herself to close her eyes.

She leaned into the kiss and Amber took that as incentive to come closer.

She practically threw herself next to Theresa and the princess would have been easily able to support them.

That is, if she hadn't been injured.

As she was, the two of them tumbled back into the blue grass and Amber let out a quiet shriek.

Theresa laughed and opened her eyes, seeing the Never still blushing and looking back at her.

She pulled Amber back over and didn't even bother sitting up, instead having Amber half lay on her and half support herself so that Theresa didn't have her whole weight on her chest.

Theresa pulled back after a minute and grinned at her.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting to do that."

Amber grinned at her, but she still had a red tint to her cheeks.

"I said shut up," she whispered, though of course there was no malice to her tone.

Theresa grinned, closing her eyes.

"Gladly."

Amber's lips were back on her own and she saw fireworks.

It was cheesy, but she didn't care.

She'd gotten her crush to kiss her and she couldn't be happier.

The princess had won the witch (or perhaps the other way around)... not exactly your classic fairytale ending.

But Theresa didn't care as she pulled Amber closer.

The Never ran a hand through the Ever's hair and she laughed despite the kiss.

She knew that Amber had done that earlier!

Amber mumbled "shut up" against her lips again and Theresa rolled her eyes, but happily obliged.

There were wolves howling in her background, but neither of them noticed.

That is they didn't notice until they could hear the sound of dozens of boots slamming against the ground as Evers and Nevers alike raced into the blue forest to see this year's two winners of the Trial by Tale.

"They did it!"

"They won together!"

"Princess Theresa!"

"Amber the Witch!"

Evers and Nevers had forgotten how much they had rejected the idea of the two winning together as they hurried into the clearing to see the two of them.