Chapter 116 - Horcruxes?

Harry's POV

I finally got the memory from Slughorn and now I'm with Dumbledore, we're taking a look right now.

~Memory~

"I was in the library the other day, in the Restricted Section, and I read something rather odd about a bit of rare magic. It's called, as I understand it... Horcruxes." Said Tom.

"I beg your pardon?" Asked Slughorn.
"A Horcrux. I came across the term while reading and I didn't fully understand it."  Tom replied.

"I'm not sure what you were reading, Tom, but this is very dark stuff. Very dark indeed." Said Slughorn.

"Which is why I came to you." Said Tom."A Horcrux is an object in which a person has concealed part of their soul." Slughorn explained."But I don't understand how that works, Sir." Said Tom."One splits ones soul and hides part of it in an object. By doing so, you are protected, should you be attacked and your body destroyed."  Slughorn explained again.

"Protected?" Tom asked."That part of your soul that is hidden lives on. In other words, you cannot die." Said Slughorn. Tom turns around and stares at the fireplace.
"And how does one split his soul, sir?" Tom asked."I think you already know the answer to that, Tom." Replied Slughorn."Murder." He said."Yes. Killing rips the soul apart. It's a violation against nature." Slughorn stated.
" Can you only split the soul once? For instance, isn't seven..." Said Tom as he adjust his ring on his in finger."Seven? Merlin's beard, Tom! Isn't it bad enough to consider killing one person? To rip the soul into seven pieces... This is all hypothetical, isn't it, Tom? All academic?" Said Slughorn.
"Of course, sir. It will be our little secret." Tom said, smirking.

~End~

"Sir."I said, but Dumbledore raised his hand and he turned around and sat on the stairs.
"This is beyond anything I have imagined." He said.

"You mean to say he succeeded, sir, making a Horcrux?" I asked Dumbledore.
"Oh yes, he succeeded, all right. And not just once." Replied Dumbledore.

"So, Voldemort did succeeded, he made seven of them. But what exactly are they?" I asked.

"They could be anything. Most commonplace of objects." Dumbledore replied as he stop up and went behind his desk.
"A ring, for example." Then he pulled out another one.

"Or a book."

"Tom Riddle's Diary." I mumbled.

Dumbledore nodded.
"It's a Horcrux, yes. 4 years ago, when you saved Erika's life...in the Chamber of Secrets, you brought me this. I knew this was a different kind of magic. Very dark, very powerful. But until tonight I had no idea just how powerful." Dumbledore said.

"The ring?" I asked, looking at it.
"Belonged to Voldemort's mother. Difficult to find. Even more difficult to destroy." Dumbledore replied. He showed us his injured hand.
"But if you could find them all, if you did destroy each Horcrux..." I cut got off.
"One destroys Voldemort." Dumbledore nodded.

"But how would you find them?  They could be hidden anywhere." I said.
"True. But magic, especially dark magic..." Dumbledore was cut off when Harry touched the ring. The ring started to spin around in circles

All of a sudden, I left like...someone's controlling me. I started to twitch my neck for left to right and looked at Dumbledore.
"...leaves traces." Dumbledore said.

"It's where you've been going, isn't it, sir? When you leave the school?" I asked.
"Yes. And I think perhaps I may have found another. But this time, I cannot hope to destroy it alone. Once again, I must ask too much of you, Harry." Dumbledore replied.