Chapter 12

You tried keeping the group occupied, knowing if they had jobs to do then they wouldn't be worrying about Sophia as much, so you all began moving cars out the way to clear a path for the RV to get through.

You helped patch up T-Dog's arm which he had apparently sliced on some glass when the herd went through. You weren't a doctor of any sort, but you had basic first aid knowledge from the military so you were able to stitch his wound and bandage it appropriately.

Shane and Glenn had returned after 30 minutes, saying that Rick and Daryl were following her trail before they started helping you guys move the various cars.

Shane helped you keep the group busy, but as the sun began to set along the horizon everyone was starting to get worried and you were running out of jobs for people to do.

Andrea's gun had also been taken away from her for her own safety which had pissed her off something fierce, but you agreed with Dale and Shane.

"They're back." Glenn suddenly called out.

You turned your attention away from the gun argument to find Rick and Daryl walking out from the woods and climbing back over the road barricade, but again Sophia was no where to be seen. Oh God.

"You didn't find her?" Carol asked, her voice barely above a whisper as you all walked over to them wanting to know what happened.

"Her trail went cold. We'll pick it up again at first light." Rick explained and your heart dropped at the thought of Sophia being out there over-night. "I know it's hard, but I'm asking you not to panic. We know she was out there and we tracked her for a while. We have to make this an organised effort. Daryl knows the woods better than anybody. I've asked him to oversee this." Rick began to explain further before Carol cut him off.

"Is that blood?" She asked motioning towards Daryl's shoes and you noticed he had blood covering the front of them.

"We took down a walker. There was no sign it was ever anywhere near Sophia." Rick quickly replied, trying not to worry anyone.

"How can you know that?" Andrea asked from somewhere behind you.

"We cut the son of a bitch open, made sure." Daryl replied, his eyes flashing over to you before looking back towards Carol as she continued to speak.

"How could you just leave her out there to begin with? How could you just leave her?" Carol questioned, sitting down on the barricade as Lori sat down beside her, wrapping her arm around the woman for comfort.

"Those two walkers were on us. I had to draw them off. It was her best chance." Rick replied softly and you knew he was feeling guilty about this, but it wasn't on Rick. She had asked you to watch her daughter and you failed. Sophia was lost out there and that was on you, not Rick.

"Sounds like he didn't have a choice, Carol." Shane spoke up, but Carol shook her head as she fought back tears.

"How was she supposed to find her way back on her own? She's just a child. She's just a child." Carol repeated, her voice breaking at the end as Rick shook his head, fighting back his own emotions.

You stepped forward grabbing Rick's shoulder and gently pulled him away from Carol as you crouched down in front of her.

"This is not Ricks fault. My brother did everything he could, it was his only option. Sophia is a smart kid, before the herd came I taught her how to use a pocket knife. Showed her how to use it safely and gave her my spare one." You explained, hoping it would help knowing that her daughter wasn't defenceless out there. But, it clearly had the opposite affect when Carol suddenly stood up from the barricade, her sad expression turning to anger within a split second.