Chapter 26

A/N- Spoilers for Season 9 and major spoilers for 9x05 so read at your own risk.

-

You took Dwight's directions and it didn't take long before you reached the river, but as you began to follow the fast flowing river a sudden explosion erupted in the distance.

You heard the bang first causing Sophia to jump in panic and quickly grab your leg before you spotted the thick black smoke drifting up in the air in the distance. You had seen explosions before, too many times during your time in the military and you knew what a few sticks of dynamite did and you hated how similar that explosion was. Who even had dynamite these days?

"It's okay, sweetie. That was a long way away, we'll be fine." You replied, crouching down beside her as you pulled her into a reassuring hug. But, the direction of the explosion was exactly where you were heading, so you hoped like hell that whoever set it off will be long gone by the time you get there.

The two of you continued walking, but didn't get very far before corpses of walkers began floating in the water, being carried by the fast current as they floated down the river and that was not something you saw everyday.

You stared at the walkers being washed away in the river in shock, there were so many of them. It was like a whole herd just decided to jump into the river. But, that didn't make any sense and a lot of the walkers were burnt, almost as if they were near that explosion when it happened... Maybe someone set the explosion up to take down a herd? That would make sense.

"Mommy." Sophia suddenly whispered, snapping your attention away from the river full of walkers as you looked down at your daughter to find her pointing towards something. You followed her line of sight and froze when you saw van pull up along the road that was running parallel to the river. Shit.

"Come on." You whispered, grabbing her hand as you ducked down behind a few bushes by the side of the river and pulled your assault rifle out as you stared at the van.

Memories of that day on the road with Negan flashing through your mind. That was the last time you had seen another person, minus Dwight. But, this felt eerily similar as you watched the van door open and a women with short dark hair stepped out.

She was holding a handgun in her left hand as she fiddled with what looked to be some kind of walkie talkie in her other. You could hear muffled voices coming from the walkie, but you were too far away to make any sense of the words.

"What the f..." You trailed off not wanting to swear in front of Sophia, but holy shit there was a fucking helicopter in the distance and it looked to be slowly descending to the ground towards the woman.

You were so focused on the helicopter, when you finally looked back towards the woman she had moved and was now closer to the river and was further left and away from you as she stared at something washed up on the riverbank.

You couldn't really see what she was looking at from where you and Sophia were crouched, but whatever it was had definitely caught her attention as she raised the walkie to her mouth.

"I have a B. I never had an A." She shouted, glancing over her shoulder towards the helicopter that was now hovering in the air behind her and you knew she must be talking to whoever was flying it.

"He's hurt, but he's strong, can you help him?" She questioned and now you were confused, who was she talking about? Who was hurt? "It's not a trick, not anymore. I'm trying to save a friend. A friend who saved me. I have something for you now, do we have a deal?" The woman questioned holding her handgun up in a surrendering position as she stared up at the helicopter.