27.

I leaned over and placed a kiss on his cheek. I started pulling away from him and he gently grabbed my face and pressed a kiss to my lips. When we pulled away from each other I could feel my cheeks warming up, so I kept my head down and went back to eating.

After about forty-five minutes people started finishing their food and started to get up so they could mingle. The tiered pastries trays were brought out and put in place of where the flowers that were in the center of the table. Amadeus and I got up so we could mingle with everyone despite how much I wanted to go upstairs and pass out. We got the same general speech from everyone:

'The ceremony beautiful and an honor to be a part of. We wish you two the best of luck with your reign and we can't wait to see what you are able to accomplish.'

We had the same general response:

'Thank you so much for coming, we hope to see you back here when our gates are open once more.'

Once we made our rounds Amadeus decided to strike up a conversation with Prince Niko who was soon going to be the King of Nidel. I quietly excused myself and went to sit with my mother who was picking at some of the pastries.

"I know you've already heard it goddess knows how many times tonight, but it truly was a wonderful ceremony and you looked beautiful." She said.

"Thank you," I said with a small smile.

"I want to apologize. I realize now that I shouldn't have tried to make this decision for you, and I should've let you make your own informed decision." She said. "I'd be lying if I said that I'm happy you're the Queen of this place, you'd be better off being the Queen of Litha, but at least now your training and skills won't be wasted."

"You're right, you shouldn't have tried to make this decision for me. But you did, and then you tried to kill me over it." I answered.

"I knew you'd be able to survive it." She argued.

I scoffed, "You're the one who always told me to never attempt black magic because of how unpredictable it is. You're the one warned me it basically always ended in pain and death and Indigo confirmed all of that. So no, you didn't know I'd be able to survive it."

She didn't say anything, but I could feel her anger rising.

"You put my life at risk purely because you couldn't handle that I was no longer a puppet on your strings," I stated.

"So, I was selfish, I didn't want to lose what I had spent so long building up." She responded. "But all Queens are selfish when it comes to their children. We build and shape you to be the perfect little Kings and Queens that will successfully run the Kingdom when we decide you're worthy. One day you'll have to make a decision as I did, and you'll realize somewhere inside you that, I was right to try to get you back."

"Then I suppose that I'll have to try to be the one to break this so-called cycle."

I had nothing else to say and I didn't want to hear whatever bullshit was going to come out of her mouth next. I rose from my chair and went back to join Indigo and Blaire who were back at the table enjoying desserts. They both looked like proud mothers.

I raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"You're all grown up." Blaire cooed.

"Look at her standing up to that monster." Indigo joined in.

"You still live there," I warned.

"Oh don't ruin the moment." Indigo brushed it off.

"You're a Queen of your own making now." Blaire smiled.