Highway

I felt like my heart stopped beating. My nerves were on high alert, and I instantly wanted to run. I slipped my hand in Daryl's, feeling his hand squeeze mine. "Patricia, kill the lights." Hershal whispered. I know that we aren't getting out of this by hiding. The farm would be gone in the matter of minutes. "I'll get the guns." Andrea stated before disappearing in the house. The herd just passed us by on the highway, should we just go inside?" Glenn panicked. "not unless there's a tunnel downstairs I don't know about, a herd that size will rip down the house." Daryl said, causing me to flinch. "Carl's gone" Lori whisper yelled, causing me to full on panic. "He was upstairs, I can't find him" She panicked. "Maybe he's hiding-" "He's supposed to be upstairs I'm not leaving without my boy." I gripped Daryl's hand tighter. "we're gonn look again, we're gonna find him" Carol and Lori disappeared into the house. "Maggie passed out guns, handing one to me, Glenn and Daryl before loading her own. "Maggie... " "You grow up country you pick up a thing or two." she said, cutting Glenn off "Hell yeah" I nodded, loading my rifle. "They got the numbers its no use" Daryl said, loading his own crossbow. I mentally sweared at him for it but kept my mouth shut. "You can go if you want," Hershal stated, loading a shotgun. "You gonna take em' all on?" Daryl asked, squeezing my hand. "We have gus, we have cars" "Kill as many as we can" Andrea suggested. "Then we use the cars to lead the rest of them off the farm" I watched as the walkers got closer, patting Daryl's hand and running inside the house. I gathered our bags and loaded them into my car franticly. I hopped in, starting my car and pulling it close to the long stretch of driveway. I heard the familiar rumble of Daryl's motorcycle and felt myself worry a slight bit more. What happens if we get separated? I could never see him again, or the group. Hell, we could all die out there tonight. I felt my heart breaking but held it in, bottling my emotions up. I followed the line of cars, in between Daryl and Glenn. The herd almost seemed to have gotten bigger now that we were in the middle of it. I pulled the rifle out and rolled my window down, ready to shoot any walkers. Instantly the barn was up in flames. I knew it was Rick and Shane, they were the only ones smart enough to do that. I saw the RV pull out of the line, heading towards the bar and said a silent prayer for Jimmy. I pulled my car to the fence beside Daryl, shooting a dozen walkers in the head before driving around again. I pulled to a stop again, adjusting my rifle and shooting a few more walkers when suddenly a corpse popped out of no-where and snatched the rifle from my hands. I let out a small yelp before grabbing my bowie knife and stabbing it in the head. I yanked my knife out as I hit the gas. I pulled my handgun out and shot off rounds, nearing the barn. I ran into a walker, making my car spin in a circle, and stall. I sweared under my breath as I struggled to get it running again. I heard the familiar rumble from Daryl's bike and heard shots go off around me. Finally my engine roared to life and I picked off more walkers behind Daryl. I caught his eyes for a minute before we both sped off, popping off more rounds. I knew there was no hope of us getting out of here and saving the farm. I felt my eye's brim with tears but I kept it in, zoning out into the sounds of guns and screams coming from the house. I saw T-Dog and Andrea starting to leave the house, heading to the road. The only place I knew to go was the highway. I cussed again before I saw Glenn and Maggie drive up. "Rose! We gotta go!" I heard Maggie scream. I quickly sped up and followed the car down the road. I started seriously worrying about the others, what if they didn't get out? I felt my eyes well up with tears, letting one hit my cheek. And another. And Another. I tried to hold myself together but thoughts of Daryl gone, never seeing him again, never feeling him beside me kept rushing through my head. I followed Maggie and Glenn in silence, stopping the tears from flowing. The sun was rising now, and Maggie and Glenn slowed down. I slowed to a stop, but stayed in the car. I didn't want to get in the way. Glenn jumped out from the passenger seat and climbed into the drivers seat. I guess they were just switching drivers. I mentally kicked myself for being so emotional, letting this whole group in so I could just hurt again. Glenn started the car again before picking up speed, so I followed behind him.