Chapter 16 - Fire

Amilee's POV:

Flashback:

He told me to leave.

What have I done?

Fear instantly filled my heart as well as pain and I instantly sobered up. His heavy steps from his large body filled my ears as he walked away from me. I couldn't breathe. This wasn't happening. Why was I so stupid!?

I quickly turned towards him in a panic. "Tate!" I called out. He stopped, his back now facing me. I saw his muscles in his back and arms tense. His hands were in fists. I swallowed hard and tried to keep my eyes from watering. "Please, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that..."

He didn't say anything. He didn't move.

Even though my legs felt like they couldn't hold me, I found myself walking to him. I needed to make this better. Pain stabbed my heart knowing I had made him that mad...

"Tate." I tried again, finding myself beside him. I went to touch him, his body flinching slightly which caused me to stop. I had really done it this time. Failing like I always did. Never being good enough. Despite the doubts, I fought through it and reached out and gently laid my hand on his arm.

He didn't pull away.

I sent a prayer of thanks up as for that small gesture. I quickly walked to stand in front of him, his blue eyes fierce as they bore into me. I wanted to look away, wanted to hide in shame, but if he could be brave and look me in the eye, I had to do the same.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "I was wrong in what I blurted out. I don't have a filter when I drink." I struggled to find any ounce of hope from his eyes. But they remained cold and icy. Tears pricked at my eyes and I couldn't stop a few from falling. My god! I was such a weak woman! I felt disgusted with myself. I mean, how the hell was I to be a worthy, strong woman beside him if I couldn't even keep myself together?! I shut my eyes as a few more tears fell. Damn, I must look so pathetic.

A sudden touch made my heart leap. I didn't dare move as I felt Tate's large thumb gently run over my cheek.

"Don't cry."

His voice, now softer made me want to cry even more. I let a sob of relief escape me as I slowly opened my eyes to look back up to his own.

The blue orbs were still a bit cold, but I could now see the hurt and regret behind them as well. His expression had softened slightly. "I really am sorry." I told him. "It's not horrible being married to you. I just got overwhelmed."

I felt better when I could see his body relax, but he also pulled his hand away. "Forget about it."

Present:

Well, it would seem that he, himself, hadn't forgotten about it. For almost half a week had past, and things still were a bit tense between us. He wasn't as open as he was before, and seemed to avoid spending a lot of alone time with me. I had still cooked and picked up around the house as much as I could, and even tried to start up conversations.

Still nothing though.

I know that Tate must have some very bad trust issues, and me going off on him like that probably wasn't the best idea. Actually, I still felt terrible about it all. But he didn't make me leave and we still slept in the same bed. But no more waking up to being in his arms, or gentle touches from time to time.

I felt we had gone back to the very beginning.

He was so professional with me, I was actually hurt by it. I can't imagine why it would hurt me as much as it did, considering I hadn't known him for too long, but it did.