Prologue

It is an escape for her.

Something that leads her to somehow believe that her life does contain significance and will eventually hold more value to not just her, but also to the people surrounding her.

Nobody around her realizes the extent of how much she is saddened at every moment of everyday or what she has actually been through previously in her life.

Nobody around her realizes the pain that her body suppresses as they barge past her in the school hallways or see her sat alone at lunch.

It makes her think.

Why doesn’t anybody even attempt to acknowledge the way she truly feels and why she has become suddenly isolated from the world around her?

It hurts and it aches to know that she is seen as somebody who doesn’t deserve happiness or to be an individual’s sweet disposition.

She was ten when it happened.

At the time she didn’t understand why and the consequences of what had occurred. Her mother had just given birth, it felt like nothing could go wrong now that she had a little sister.

She finally had an actual person who she could let into her emotions and her thoughts without even having to think about it.

She knew from the beginning that her little sister had unknowingly broken past her wall and could easily make her into a smiling idiot that nobody had seen from her for a long time.

But then, he left.
He left and from then it felt like everything slipped away.
He walked out, she killed herself and the two girls were thrown into an orphanage that could care less about them.

Being in an orphanage was an indescribable feeling to her. There was a constant knot in the pit of her stomach that made her want to wail, throw up or hit something close by.

There was a constant lump in her throat that deprived her from crying no matter how much she wanted to do so.

It was like all emotion to her was consumed in a battle in her mind. She was persistently pleading for answers that never came to her and attempting to visualize the time where everything went wrong.

All she had was her sister.

She had to provide her younger sibling with a childhood that she can look back on and smile instead of crying.

When they both received the news that a couple from Miami wished to adopt them, you would think that her concerns and fears would leave but they only increased.

Who were these people attempting to take over the role of her parents?

Would they even care for them the way she wished them to?

Her sister loved them, but it seemed as though they only adopted her because she refused to let the smaller girl go to a family that she wasn’t apart of.

It pained her knowing that they couldn’t care less about her but she would rather die than take that sense of normality from her younger sister that she has always dreamed of her having.