T W E N T Y - F I V E

gif from google images

As Hope, Landon, and Dorian enter the auditorium, their UV-lights shine down on dozens of slime trails leading to the students. "This is why I hate sci-fi," Hope mutters, looking around, She catches her cousin leaning against the railing with a smug grin on her face. The stench of blood reaches Hope's nose.

"We need a way to de-slug whoever's infected, fast," Dorian says, pulling Hope's attention away.

"When I touched the switch to the kitchen vent, it shocked me, and that's when the slug popped out."

"Great, so we just have to find a way to electrocute every student in the school without killing them," Landon says, throwing his arms up in desperation.

"If we don't, they're dead anyway," Dorian sighs. "I'm gonna call Ric." He slips out of the room with the phone already ringing.

Hope takes that moment to sneak over to Stella. She silently motions for Landon to wait before she taps Stella's shoulder. The younger witch jumps, one hand going to her scarf and the other grabbing her leather jacket. "Hope," she says with a startled laugh. "What's up?"

Hope narrows her eyes at the scarf around Stella's neck. "What the hell is this?" She asks, reaching for it.

Stella jerks back with an angered expression. "My property, thank you," Stella snaps. "By the way, I wanted to tell you that I'm leaving later tonight."

Hope freezes. "What?"

"Yeah," Stella turns back to the stage, her eyes finding Kaleb. He winks at her smirk. "I'm bored here. I feel like I need to be doing more. You would understand."

"Why would I understand?" Hope crosses her arms over her chest.

Stella lets out a chuckle, glancing back at Hope. "No offense, but you've felt that way your entire life, remember? You need to learn more, read more, save more. Alone."

Hurt blossoms in Hope's gut. "And look where that got us."

Suddenly, Stella's expression turns stormy. In the dim light, her eyes spark silver as her expression turns deadly. "Yes, let's recap what happened because of your selfish actions. First your mom and Laura. Then Klaus and Elijah. Let's not forget my girlfriend who was murdered by people who hated you."

Stella pushes Hope back as her hands heat up. Landon steps in front of Hope, grabbing onto her hand. "Let's calm down," he says gently as Hope backs out of the room with the others following. 

"Calm down?" Stella repeats. "Do you know what your beloved girlfriend did? She basically destroyed our family and got my first love killed. You know what it's like to watch the person you love die in your arms?"

Landon shakes his head as Hope says, "Carter wasn't my fault—"

"You don't get to say her name," Stella seethes, her hands igniting in white-hot flames. The flickering light bounces off her silver eyes. "Not when it's your fault. And Klaus'. And Vincent's."

With a pale face, Hope glances behind Stella before she stops moving. "Stella, you don't want to hurt me, not really," she says, eyeing Dorian waiting with a small taser.

"No, Hope," Stella brings up her hand. "After all the pain you caused me, I really, really—"

Stella gasps, the breath leaving her lungs. She doubles over and runs her fingers over her face as she grits her teeth. She pauses, her eyes wandering over the floor in front of her. "What's happening to me?" she whispers.

"Dorian, now," Hope yells.

Dorian leaps forward and presses the taser to Stella's side. She yelps, falling to the ground as a slug jumps from her ear. Hope squashes it under her boot before she helps Stella back to her feet.