"Why are they following us?" (7)

Brynne contemplated whether or not she should go home or if she should go back to Micah's and tell him everything. It was eating her alive to keep this sensitive information from him but she had to be sure.

Jordan promised her that they meant no harm— although, a promise meant nothing in today's world but she still took his word for it.

Pulling up into the driveway, she took a deep breath before locking up her car and going into the house. She felt a wave of fatigue wash over her and made up her mind to tell him tomorrow instead. She would need the time to plan out the conversation in her head, anyway.

—but Micah had other plans for her. She saw him in the dining room, sitting with a glass of wine in front of the lit candles and red rose petals that littered the dining table.

"What's all this?"

"I had a romantic night planned; that's why I was home early," he said while standing, "then after you left, I thought it over and I was unfair to get mad at you. However you need to deal with your mother should be your decision but next time just please let me know so I don't make a fool of myself," he chuckled.

"I'm sorry, baby," she hugged him, "I never meant to keep it from you but I also thought that she'd never show up in my life again."

"I understand. It must have been hard for you," Micah cupped her face before kissing her lips.

The guilt ate away at her insides. There was no way she deserved this man. Here he was, offering her support and comfort and she was hiding the biggest thing from him.

"Baby, there's something else. Please don't be mad," she stepped out of his embrace.

"What is it?"

"Do you remember that night when I said I wouldn't talk to my mother unless you spoke to your dad?"

"...yeah," he narrowed his eyes at her.

"Well I had to try and fix my parental relationship before I could help fix yours but considering the circumstances—"

"Brynne, get to the point,"

She took a deep breath. "I spoke to your dad and he wants to see you,"

"Jesus Christ," he cursed and turned away from her. "What the fuck is your deal with my father? I already told you I want nothing to do with that man!"

"Why? Why don't you want to see him? He really needs to talk to you, Micah. There are things you need to know,"

"I don't care. I couldn't care less what that man has to say to me," he scowled and turned; ready to leave the room.

"No, don't you dare walk away from this. Why don't you want to see him? I was willing to see my mother!"

"This isn't the same thing, Brynne! You've completely crossed the line here. You have no idea what I went through with him!" He tried to get her to see his point but he knew better than that. He knew how stubborn she was.

"Then tell me! What happened that was so bad?"

"You wouldn't understand—"

"Tell me!"

Angrily, he yanked up his shirt to show her the small flesh-toned scar just above his left hip. She had never seen it before. You had to really look in order to see it.

"After years of emotional abuse, my father stabbed me because I wanted to leave his house for good. That's what's so bad. Are you satisfied now?" he let go of the fabric and stormed up the stairs towards the bedroom.