"You have to believe me that I never meant to deceive you," (25)

Michael Cummings.

That was the first shareholder Brynne had found during her search. He was an accountant with two children and an ex-wife, Jody. She found him at an apartment building in Harlem— not exactly the place she would like to be but she had to get this done.

The apartment building wasn't too shabby, actually. Brynne took the stairs since his apartment was just on the second floor. Michael didn't know she was coming... and she didn't know if he was even home at all.

—but she had to try something.

She knocked on number seven and waited. A few shuffling sounds could be heard on the other side; indicating that someone was coming to the door. However, when the door opened, Brynne didn't expect to see a girl on the other side.

The girl couldn't be more than maybe sixteen years old. Brynne cleared her throat. "Hi, is Michael Cummings here?"

"Michael! Someone's at the door!" the girl yelled behind her.

Soon after, a man came rushing out in his robe. "God dammit, I told you to answer my door! Go in the room and don't come out," He whispered to her; and doing a bad job at it too.

"Whatever," she rolled her eyes and walked away.

"Can I help you?" He turned to look at Brynne now.

"Yes, I was referred to you by a colleague. May I come in?" She tried to smile. This man had sleaze ball written all over him.

"Suit yourself, honey," he walked towards the couch.

Brynne entered his apartment slowly while observing everything inside. The place was hideous. Brown walls, brown couch, brown carpet and you could guess the color curtains. That's right, they were brown. With the curtains closed, the place was shrouded in that yellow-brown light as the sun peeked its way in.

"Let me get straight to it," she said to him. "I bought some shares in this financial company, Hans&Olsen but now my whole account is gone to shit and I don't know what to do. My financial advisor isn't answering my calls and I have no money to hire a lawyer. Someone told me that I could contact you since you know... you'd do me this favor for something in return,"

Obviously, none of this was true but Brynne had to lie. She was getting better at it too. It was clear that he liked young girls and would probably speak more than he would intend to about the company.

Michael scoffed. "You better have a seat, honey. That place was a shit show,"

Gingerly, she sat near to him but he closed the distance between them and now their thighs were touching. A shiver ran down her spine— and it wasn't a good one. Brynne had to get her information and get out fast.

"What can you tell me about them?"

He threw his arm around her shoulders. "First of all, those cocky bastards had it coming to them. They acted like they were better than everyone, you know?"

"They had what coming to them?"

He pulled her closer to whisper in her ear. "Revenge," then he chuckled. "I had shares too but I was lucky enough to sell them in the nick of time," he boasted.

Brynne wanted nothing more than to push this man away and run out that door... but she was so close to finding something.

"I wish I was that lucky... how did you do it?" She turned her body towards him— a move she regretted since he grabbed her legs and put them over his thighs.

"Well, sweetheart. I don't give out my secrets for free." He leaned closer until she was nearly on her back.

Brynne was appalled that this man was so eager to basically assault a stranger. She hated that people like him got away with doing it. The anger bubbled in her stomach and she did her best to not let it show.