"You don't know the first thing about love," (18)

Amira didn't hear a single word that left the detective's mouth after the news about Nathan. She could only focus on the feeling inside of her chest. It was the same feeling she had when she found out about Tom's double life. Betrayal.

Every moment they had together replayed in her mind over and over— and just like Tom, she didn't once notice any signs. Was she really that naïve?

"Is there any reason the bomber would target you or detective Hwang?"

She shook her head.

"Miss Crawford, are you aware that two places— now three— have been bombed within the last two weeks?"

"What does that have to do with me?"

The two detectives looked at each other once again and asked the nurse for some privacy. Once she left, their whole demeanor changed.
"We checked your flight records and ever since you got here the bombings started. Now, either we assume you're involved or we can assume you think you know who it is. Which should I assume?"

They were no longer empathetic; they came here for answers, one way or another.

"I assume I need a lawyer before answering," Amira looked at them. She still hadn't grasped the idea of a bomber much less to let the police interrogate her about it.

"Listen here, Miss Crawford, refusing to comply would only indicate you're willing to be an accomplice,"

Amira didn't like his tone of voice. Was he trying to intimidate her?

"Is that a threat?"

"You think this is a fucking joke?" The detective's voice rose higher.

"Is that any way to talk to a victim?" A new voice joined the conversation. A man in a suit stood by the open door.

The two detectives turned to the man and nodded their heads at him. "Agent Bryer,"

"Leave us," he ordered and the two men left them alone.

"Whatever you have to ask, its the same answer,"

The man chuckled while unbuttoning his suit jacket. "I know you have nothing to do with the bomber,"

"Then why are you here?"

"Because even though you don't know who it is; they know who you are. I'm here because I need your help to catch the bomber,"

Amira exhaled. "You mean you need bait,"

"Something like that,"

"Fine, I'll do it... but I need a favor first,"

______________________

Brynne immediately knew it wasn't a good time when she saw that her mother was in the middle of unpacking her boxes in her new apartment. She had called her to meet up but her mother insisted she meet her at this location. At first, Brynne kept quiet and helped her pack away a few sculptures and lamps because she didn't know how to say what she had on her mind.

They had just started building a decent relationship and Brynne would hate to ruin that because of her stupid curiosity... and she had planned on keeping quiet until she pulled a picture frame from one of the boxes.

It was a picture of her parents— the same picture Harry had of them before she was born. Her hands tightened around the frame and Brynne couldn't forget the fact that she had ruined their lives despite what her father had said.

"Why do you have this?" She found herself asking her mother.

Lauren looked over her shoulder and smiled once she saw the picture. "We looked good, didn't we?" she walked over and held the frame in her hands.