Chapter 16

I plopped down onto my bed and lay there for a second. In a few hours, or minutes, it would be nighttime. My room was the same wood that had been made downstairs but a little nicer. The walls had faded wallpaper, a broken chair and desk in the corner, a small fireplace, and a blank picture frame above the fireplace. I started to wonder what picture went there before. I sat up and unpacked. Then I noticed the window was open. So I walked over there to take a look knowing there wasn’t much to look at.

I looked down upon the little town. It looked deserted now. The lights above the shops were flickering and the signs swayed back and forth like they were in harmony. Then I saw a bunch of tumbleweed rolling in front of the hotel. Fail, I thought.

Something wasn’t right though. I looked to the direction of the woods. I swore I heard a growl come from the depths of the forest. As if something awoken to the call of death, I saw red round, thin eyes staring at me. You might have thought I was completely scared to death but I was getting use to that kind of stuff. I quickly ran to the bow and arrow laid against the wall. I ran back to the window and pulled the arrow back, aiming for the demon. I hadn’t really practice on my aim; I had to use most of my strength to pull back the bow, which was not normal. I felt an incredible aura coming from the forest. It was so strong that I almost collapsed. I held the bow out.

Don’t shoot!

There was a pain in my arm.

Why not, I thought to myself.

Because, you know you don’t deserve this life. You wish you could be a normal life. So give up now and watch all the world crumble before you.

No! I will be here through till the end! I thought.

Stubborn self-conscious. You know that you crave that so much you hid it in the depths of your heart not wanting it to be true.

Get… out. I screamed to the voice in my head. I didn’t know what had just happened. I took the bow. Please hit the spot, I thought. Everything went slow after I let go of the string. I watched the arrow miss a tree and hit one of the eyes. I waited and watched. Minute by minute past and the aura faded. I wonder if that other voice was my head but I was fighting with my heart. Or was it the beast. I starred at the stars and wondered why the life that I have has to be me. There are tons more people with powers out there but me? I walked over to my bed and dropped onto it, I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

www

“Heather,” a voice said. “Heather wake up for crying out loud!” I groaned and turned.  The sun shone into my eyes. I blinked a couple times before I could see clearly. I opened my eyes to see Tyler shaking me awake.

“What time is it?” I asked.

“Who cares?” she continued. “We need to find Becky, now.” I looked down and saw my bow and arrow on the floor where I had left it yesterday. I threw my covers off and stretched. I didn’t know how long I was up last night; I think I should keep it a secret. I walked over to where I had dropped my books and backpack. I picked up my schoolbooks and walked over to the fire pit and threw them into the pit.

“Max! Come here.” I said still looking at the fire pit. He walked over.

“What?” he asked. I still starred at the pit.

“I want you to start a fire on my books.” I had now idea why I wanted to burn my books. I just thought—,

What? Those are your schoolbooks! What are you even thinking?”

“Just do it! We’re not going back to school anyway so just do it!” I yelled. Max looked at me unsure. Though he walked over there and looked at me one more time. I nodded. Then he looked at the books and took his finger and pointed to the fire pit. A small swirl of fire from his finger swirled to the book covers. Instantly they caught on fire; the flames reflected on my eyes. Max walked behind me and headed for the door. I gabbed his shirt. Max was shocked.