Chapter 17

“Are we just going to stand here, or are we going to get something to eat.” Jennifer reminded us. We walked through the pub swingy doors and there was a bar to the right. Then down the rest was wooden tables and chairs, there was a lady sweeping the never-ending dusty floor. There was one light in the middle of the room and it wasn’t very big. We headed our way to an empty table, just letting you know one else was here except for the sweeper, the clerk, and us. The lady who was sweeping stopped and walked over to us to take our order. You couldn’t really see her face. She had a cloth covering her face. She handed us a menu. This was on the menu: chicken feet, cow tongue, fried maggots, cinnamon butter beer, flies on a stick, pea soup/drink, and something called Grangerjar. I don’t really know or care what that is. So I decided to stick to the things in knew.

“I’ll take a cinnamon butter beer and chicken feet.” Tyler said. I leaned forward.

“Would it be kind of weird to eat your own kind ‘cause you’re a bird, chicken feet.” I pointed out. She gave me a shut-up look. I sat back into my chair.

I would never eat my own kind… I hate you. I really wish you would stop doing that.

“I’ll take the same,” Max said as Jennifer rolled her eyes and our eyes met, we both snickered.

“Do you have Ginger, for the Gingerjar?” Jennifer asked. I burst out laughing. “And would you possibly have a girl named Maggie for the maggie-ots?” I laughed so hard I started to cry.

“Where those suppose to be jokes?” Max asked. Jennifer gave him a confused look.

“Of course,” she asked puzzled.

“Well those were some of the worst.” Max said. By that time I had quieted down. I tried looked at the waitress to get a good look at her face but all I could see was the shadow of the cloth. I waited till Jennifer ordered her Grangerjar.

“And you miss?” the waitress spoke. Her voice was sweet and cheerful. Then I realized that she was talking to me.

“Oh, um I’ll get the,” I paused. Then I noticed a man sitting in the corner. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t there before. Then I whispered, “Hey guys, do you guys see the man over there in the corner?” They all stopped and looked to where I was pointing.

“What man?”

“Yeah, I don’t see a man,”

“There is nothing there, Heather.” Max said. I looked from Max’s bandaged shoulder to were the man was sitting and there he was. How do they not see him? He’s sitting right there! I wanted to scream at them, are you blinded? The waitress got nervous. I think she over heard me.

“Wh-what man? You’re are probably so hungry you’re seeing things…”

“No, I pretty sure he is there and 3D. He’s even casting a shadow! Look I’ll go over there,” I stood up. “And touch him.”

“There’s no one there, Heather! Gosh,” Jennifer said. I started walking over to him then something grabbed my wrist. I turned and to see the waitress gripping my wrist.

“I won’t allow you to do that,” she said in a harsh, rash voice. I could tell it was a different voice that before.

“Guys can you,” I looked over and saw Jennifer, Max, and Tyler sitting at the table. They were blurry and ten feet away. I had apparently walked through a barrier. And more surprisingly there was the waitress serving food. Then the one holding my wrist was…

“The man,” I muttered. I looked to see the waitress holding my hand but it wasn’t really the waitress. I could tell there wasn’t any spiritual aura coming from her so technically she was already dead. Her soul was being possessed by something. I saw the man from the corner get up and start walking toward me. I tried to free myself from the hand. I took my water whip and cut her in half; I froze her to the spot. The man raised his hand and sprayed out toxin. And in the condition I was I didn’t have anything to protect myself. I closed my eyes and let the toxin surround me. I waited and waited for it to consume me, nothing happened. I opened my eyes and saw a shield was put around me. I didn’t even want to know who put it up for me.

I reached back take out my bow and arrows. I looked at my bow and it was glowing the same color as the shield. I didn’t have time to think that the bow was creating the shield. I pulled the bow forward and grabbed an arrow. I prayed that the shield would hold and luckily it did. I pulled the arrow back and the toxin was so thick I couldn’t see the man. I closed my eyes felling for the aura. After what it seemed like forever I found a sharp area with a strong aura. I pointed my arrow in the direction. Hit the mark, I hoped. I let go of the string. I made water and ice surround the arrow for more damage and to have protection. To my theory, if I didn’t, the arrow would’ve dissolved from the toxin. I watched as the arrow made it’s way through the toxin. It came to a point were the arrow disappeared; after a couple of seconds, a flash of light came from where the arrow was shot. I heard something fall to the floor. It was the man. Then a vision came to me; I saw a shape of a wooden figure the size of my hand snap in half. I wasn’t quiet sure what it was and I didn’t really care.

To my relief the poison thinned. I was breathing heavily after all that. All of a sudden my shield faded and the clean air filled with toxin. I plugged my nose trying not to breathe in the toxin. I tried making my way to where the barrier ended. The toxin must have gotten to me because I started coughing and my vision was getting bleary. I didn’t know if I was going to make it. As I pushed through the poison I saw light from the outside of the pub. Then I saw the barrier shimmering. I made my way and stumbled out from inside the barrier.

“Heather!” I heard Max say; before anything else happened, I collapsed onto the floor and the last thing I heard was though it was distant, “Why… what happened?”