<2>

Taking her time walking up the front porch May flipped through the few envelopes that were bent and folded from being shoved into the mailbox. None of them were for her and none seemed important, well maybe the one with the CVS coupon.

Opening the unlocked door May peeked inside her house before fully entering.

"Did you steal my ring?"

Sighing she didn't bother to close the yellow tinted door softly, "No mom."

The large woman put the cigarette back up to her mouth and puffed a few times as if she was trying to keep her cool. "I can't find it."

Looking over by the couch the brunette gulped seeing the reflective object sitting on top of an empty carton of smokes. "Where did you last see it?"

"In my fucking box where it should be." She snapped throwing her foot down on the trash can and tossing a paper plate inside. "I'm a working woman May, I don't need to come to something like this."

Remembering her day The young girl stood a little straighter, "I am too."

Her mother didn't seem to hear her as she turned the TV on and plopped down in her old black leather recliner. Her usual messy blonde hair was up in a towel and her hands stayed busy sprinkling salt on her TV dinner.

May watched the reality stars run across the beach for a few moments before clearing her throat "I got a job."

Her mother took a large bite of the microwaved Salisbury steak not bothering to close her mouth when she laughed, "Where at?"

"The grocery store." She answered quietly looking back down at the floor where muddy shoes laid around her.

Shaking her head the large woman scooped a mouthful of potatoes in her mouth, "About time you pick up your weight around here." After swallowing she raised her eyebrows at her daughter, "Is that all?"

She nodded and walked past the living room knowing her mother was done with their conversation. going to the kitchen she let her mouth bounce from side to side as the tried thinking of what to eat. Getting out some bread she smoothed some peanut butter on one side as she peeked through the hole in the wall to see her mother finally notice and pick up the ring from the side table.

Going to the refrigerator she tapped her fingers on the white surface before closing it again and coming up empty handed. Grabbing a paper towel she wrapped her sandwich up and walked along the wall hoping her mother wouldn't stop her for anything.

Finally making it to her room she closed the door delicately and sighed. Her room was a small one, painted a green color from years ago she could see the original wood peeking through where cracks and peelings started.

It only took one step to reach her bed, it filled the entire wall from one end to the other while on the other side by the door sat her tiny closet. She didn't have many clothes but she did store most of her most valuable supplies in her shoe boxes.

Checking to see if the boxes were still under her old winter coat she took a small nibble of her sandwich before sitting on her unmade bed. Her sketches from doodling through school hung around her with only scotch tape keeping them in their place which made her breathe better. She felt at peace when she was surrounded by what she's created.

Crumbling the napkin up as her sandwich disappeared in her mouth she threw it in the trash can and pulled out her boxes quickly. She couldn't get to her stuff fast enough.

Setting out her sketch pad, she ran her finger along the unopened packaging of some sharpie pens.

Once a month she allowed herself to go to the dollar store, usually in that time she was able to save a few extra dollars to get a new kind of art supply. The dollar store isn't the place of choice for many artist. The supplies are cheap and limited but she always found something knew. This month was sharpie pens, next month was an eraser that she had her eye on. It was supposed to mold like clay but erase really well. That's what the professionals use.

Flipping through her sketches until she finally found herself a blank page she took no time to waste as she placed the ink on the paper and started drawing curved lines.

Her inspiration was a tree at the park. All the others were green and lush from the spring rains but this one tree was different. Half of it was bare and grey while the other half tried its best to produce leaves. A black line right down the middle split the tree in two from lighting during one of the worst storms of the year. She remembered that storm because the electricity went off and her mother hates the dark.

Freezing hearing footsteps pass by her room she relaxed and closed her eyes in relief hearing her moms bedroom door shut and the bed creek from her laying on it. She loved night time.

It was the perfect time to draw and think since everyone else went to sleep.

Finishing the details of a few leafs May watched a light fly by on the wall opposite of hers. Turning to the window she clenched her jaw seeing a janky old van run over the curve and park in their dirt driveway.

As fast as the lights turned off on the car she threw her supplies into their box and grabbed her pad holding it close to her heart.

Stepping into her closet she slide the door slightly shut and closed her eyes as she stood in the darkness. Holding her breathe in as she heard the footsteps walk around the front part of the house, May leaned against the wall carefully.

It didn't take long for those clompy footsteps to draw near. Stopping by her door she watched the light protruding from the bottom be interrupted by the feet. Soon her whole room became engulfed by the light as her door swung open. His figure's shadow dancing across the tan carpeted floor.

"Dustin is that you?" Her mom called.

"Ya darling."

Darting her eyes around the darkness again she let her deep breathe finally go as she heard his body flop on the bed. Their audible whispers turning into rhythmic creaks as May stepped out of her closet and stood in the middle of her tiny room.

Painfully slow she sat back down on her bed and winced hearing the old boards sigh. Taking a minute she listening closely to the bed from the rook next door that didn't stop. Once she figured they didn't hear she crossed her legs and got her drawing back out.

She studied it carefully before letting a smile fall on her face as she uncapped her pen.