3. Family

The room was a good one, it exceeded Alex's expectations. She'd heard of the distasteful rooms in college from her friends back at home, and she had come prepared for the worst. Room 51 was on the second floor of the huge building 'eastie' named in correspondence to it's location. The building was four storeys high and as far as she could tell,the second floor alone housed more than fifty rooms. Welcome to college, she thought to herself taking in her new room. There were two single beds at both ends, a desk and a lamp on each side and a small closet at the rear. Alex assumed it was to be shared between them.

Just near the entrance door on the right was another door leading to the bathroom which was luckily in a good state. They didn't have to share community bathrooms, something she had been dreading and for that she was grateful. The room was painted a very light purple colour with a small window on the far right that was bare with no curtains. "Looks like we'll have to go curtain shopping soon Alex, I'm so looking forward to that, I love shopping." Shelly announced excitedly in a go.

Alex groaned inwardly, she couldn't for the world understand what the thrill of malls and crowds was. Personally she'd rather find something among her clothes to remedy the situation than go shopping, but she was not one to burst her new friend's bubble. "Me too,it'll be fun to explore and find new places." She replied faking excitement.

Shelly claimed the bed near the window and started unpacking her bags. She was a girl full of energy, that Alex could already tell which was the exact opposite of her. She was only hoping that they'd get along well as she dumped her bags on the other bed. "I'll take a quick shower and then we can proceed to know each other, is that ok with you?" Alex asked Shelly who was already hanging clothes on her side of the closet. Where she got the energy to be doing all that after the long day, whereas Alex was all tired and ready for a nap was a mystery.

"Sounds like a plan, go ahead." Shelly replied and she wasted no time grabbing a towel that had been packed on the top of her bag and disappearing inside the bathroom.
She stripped down and grabbing the toilet paper proceeded to lay it on the toilet seat and eased herself from the much pressing pee.

The hot water was a good welcome and nothing felt any better at that moment. Alex just let the water cascade down her back and felt her shoulders relax and her other strained muscles get relief. After standing under the shower for about ten minutes, she dried herself and got out to join Shelly. She felt revived. The little joys of life like shower was what she lived for.

Alex was a simple girl. Born to mixed race parents,she had luckily gotten the best physical traits from both sides. She was 5'7 which she'd inherited from her white father who was tall and her black mother had passed on the curves. Overall she was naturally beautiful with a rich brown skin. Her boobs were  on the small side but her butt evened that out adding to the beauty that she was. She was the third child in a family of four girls. At 20 years old, she'd blossomed out well into a young attractive woman. Her oldest sister Janice 26, was doing well in her beauty salon business which she co-owned with a friend. The second born Maria who was 23 years, had dropped  out of college to get married to a childhood boyfriend. If you asked Alex, she thought it was really dumb but she didn't dare raise her opinions. The last born Samantha 16, was still in highschool.

To say they didn't get along as a family was an understatement. Since the divorce of their parents, the little peace that had existed before had broken and thrust them into different directions.

The chaos that had enfolded in the family had affected Alex greatly, and she couldn't be  happier to start life on her own.