15. The end

The nurse at the reception desk was glaring at Alex. Having waited for over an hour, she couldn't keep still. Frantically walking up and down, she'd gone to the desk multiple times to demand she be let inside or at least get any information.

Jenny had tried to calm her down which had been impossible. Alex had tried sitting down, even counting numbers in her head had failed. She didn't understand why they were taking so long. It had been an hour for Christ sake, could they be any more slow. After the third attempt to get past the closed doors, the nurse had threatened to throw her out so she was now left to just pace around like a mad person.

When the doors finally opened and a doctor walked out, both Jenny and her had rushed to him like their lives depended on it. "How's my dad, is he ok, is he speaking, can I see him?" With both of them speaking, the doctor couldn't tell who asked what. "Calm down, he's alright we've managed to contain the fever but unfortunately he slipped into coma. Now the only thing we can do is wait. You can go ahead and see him." The doctor explained to the two women. He could tell they were shaken and was trying to use a calming tone.

By the time he was done speaking, Alex was already rushing inside with Jenny on her heels. Her heart was beating fast and she could feel more tears on the way but was trying to maintain composure. His dad was in the same room he had been admitted before and finding it quickly they were at the door opening.

He was hooked to machines more than before and looked way paler than he'd ever been. Alex had to double check to see if he was still alive. "Oh dad,please wake up." Falling at the side of the bed, she let the tears fall freely. She had promised to be strong but she couldn't feel the strength at the moment. Her dad looked so fragile and thin and so lifeless. Touching his frail hand, she placed a slight kiss managing to drop tears on it.

When Jenny helped her to her feet she accepted the chair and they sat quietly at the bedside. If she had been afraid before, it was nothing to the current situation where she had to keep checking the machines to make sure he was still alive.

"You should go and sleep Jenny, I will wait till morning and you can come back, you're more tired than I am." She tried to persuade her which was unfruitful. "It's ok I'll wait with you, I'm not that tired." She answered which Alex knew wasn't the truth. "I'm sorry that you have to go through this, you deserve to be happy." She could feel more tears falling. How her tear ducts could still produce more tears was surprising. She was so grateful for Jenny who was not even family but had stood with them throughout.

"It's alright honey, am happy to help where I can and there's no other place I'd rather be. I love your father and I can't abandon him in his time of need." Jenny replied with her hoarse voice. They had done nothing but cry. Alex felt so close to her than to her own family. "I'll go find coffee,I'll be back in a few." Embracing Jenny, she left to go fetch coffee, it was the least she could do for her.

The sun had risen up and found them still at her father's side. She had to literally push Jenny outside to go home and get some sleep since she was dead on her feet and still insisting on staying. There had not been a change with his father and as much as the doctor checked on him from time to time, there was nothing much they could do but wait.

Falling in out of sleep, Alex didn't hear his dad call her name the first time. She thought she was dreaming. When he said her name the second time, Alex was up in a heartbeat and at his side. "Daddy" with her voice hoarse from all the crying, she could only manage one word. "Hey baby,your eyes are so red, don't cry." His voice was so small, she had to strain to hear him and only then did she notice the machine beeping like crazy. "Oh my god, I'll go fetch the doctor!" She was up ready to bolt but his dad tagged at her hand stopping her.

"No need baby, don't leave I need to say something and I don't have long." With the noise from the machine and the hyperventilating that she could feel overtaking her she couldn't stay still. "Please dad,let me get the doctor, please don't say that." Alexis was not trying to be strong at this point, the panic attack was on full mode. "I love you so much my baby, never forget that and tell your sisters that I love them too. Please look after Jenny and tell her that I love her with all my heart. She was an angel sent for me and I'll wait for her on the other side.

You have a whole life ahead of you, live it to the fullest and don't let anyone not even your mother change you. I'll be watching over you. You're the best daughter anyone would ever wish for. Thanks for taking care of me and being my best friend. I love you so much, bye baby girl." Alexis could only watch helplessly as his breathing became short and more laboured as he tried to get his last words out. "I love you dad,now and forever,please don't leave me, I need you." Holding him for dear life she watched him attempt a feeble smile and breath out for the last time and everything went silent.

Alexis couldn't remember the doctors coming in. She couldn't even remember passing out, but she will always remember that day. It was one dark and cloudy thursday, around 2pm, the day he smiled at her for the last time,because at that moment, that specific moment her entire life came crashing down before her very own eyes.