Eighteen

"You totally cheated!" Remus exclaims throwing his cards down and shaking his head disbelievingly.

The fire flickers with the movement of his arms. He sits crossed legged in front of the fireplace as the light dances around his frame. A gentle snow falls outside, bringing Hogwarts to a peaceful, silent night.

"I did not!" Abigail laughs, a hiccup rising from her stomach.

"Let me see your cards."

She hugs them to her body, sticking her tongue out at him, "No!"

"Abby." Remus rises on his knees, shuffling across the carpet with his arm extended. "Let me see!"

She grasps his hand with her own, tugging him closer until they're pressed against each other. He pins over her, red with laughter. Glossed lips press against his cheek and another giggle rings in his ears. Before he can attest, she flashes the cards in her hands. Remus reads them, rolling his eyes when she proudly says, "I told you I won."

Remus swats the cards away, leaning over to plant a kiss on her thin lips.

"Sticking a fork in my eye would be less painful than watching this," James comments as he strolls through the common room.

"You're just mad you're not in love," Abigail teases, staring at an upside down James walking away.

Recently, something was different about Remus. Abigail wasn't exactly sure what it was, but she isn't complaining. The past week or so he was being extra touchy and laughing more. Just overall happier. There was a playful manner to every action he did. Whether it be a surprise kiss or a taser to the hips. It was like they were fourteen all over again. It was puppy love.

"I have to go," Remus tells her, rolling off.

And just like that. It was over.

Abigail grabs the coffee table, hauling herself to sit up. "You're doing an awful lot of Prefect work," she says with pursed lips. "I don't think Lily Evans does as much."

Remus shrugs, offering her a hand. "Don't stress about it, love. I'll see you in the morning." He places a chaste kiss on her lips - the feeling distant.

Abigail watches Remus depart through the portrait, swinging his robe over his shoulder carefree. His stride is taller with an extra spring in his step. It wasn't like the Remus she knew. That Remus' posture was shrunken, submissive. Deciding to let it go, she gathers up the playing cards and walks up to her dorm.

The other girls are laughing over a picture of some hot quidditch player when she arrives. The four girls were inseparable since first year. But Abigail couldn't blame anybody but herself for letting that happen. Shoving the cards in her drawer, she grabs the brush resting on top and combs through her long blonde hair. In the mirror, Lily Evans catches her eye. "Lily," Abigail calls, suddenly twirling around.

"Yeah?" Lily responds.

"Can we talk for a second?"

"Sure..." Lily slides off the bed, swatting away the hand that reaches out to slap her bum. "Shove off Marls."

Marlene laughs, "We all know you wish it was Potter's hand."

Lily grabs a pillow off the nearest bed and chucks it at the group of girls - only causing an outburst of giggles. Abigail pushes open the dorm door, waiting for Lily to join her. The mood drops when they're alone. The laughter is muffled behind the closed door, and Lily's bubbly persona settles into a deadpan look.

Abigail's thumbs twiddle awkwardly. She doesn't hate Lily, per se, she just isn't fond of her. It may have started back when Remus admitted he thought Lily was pretty back in third year. The redhead was envied by many for her natural beauty and intelligence. It was easy to both love and hate her. Aside from herself, Lily was probably the closest female to Remus. It always kept her on edge.