eight.

River collapsed next to Magnolia on his and Keanu's couch, getting in a position to rest his head in her lap. They been spending time together, while Keanu was filming a movie.

They would talk on the phone, as much as they could, but his free time was non-existent.

"What happened?" River asked trailing his hand on her burned arm.

"I was wondering when you were going to finally ask." She said, lightly chuckling.

River's looked up at her and tugged on her hair.

"The first couple of times that we saw each other you stared at my arm." She noted the confusion in his eyes.

"I didn't realize you noticed.. I'm sorry, if I made you uncomfortable." He whispered, trailing his fingers on her chin.

"No worries.." Magnolia said.

"My parents died in a fire... I was coming home from babysitting and I ran straight in.. I guess I was in shock at the situation and a coat rack fell down and burnt my arm." She said lightly rubbing her arm.

River removed himself from her lap and bought her into a hug. She tried to bite back her cries, but she hadn't really allowed herself to talk to anyone about it.

Not even Woody.

"It's okay.." He whispered, kissing her forehead. "It's okay to cry."

Magnolia clutched his t-shirt, hoping that he would stop speaking. It would only make her more emotional.

River rubbed her back but kept her close to his chest.

This is what Tony was talking about.. he thought back to their conversation at the skate town.

Minutes later, Magnolia poked her head up and rested her chin on his chest. River wiped her stray tears away and kissed her on the nose.

"I'll always be here for you.. you know that, right?" He said softly. "Anytime, and I mean anytime, call me if you need to talk."

Magnolia nodded.

"Promise me." He demanded, placing her head into his hands. "I know what it's like to feel alone. I don't want you going through that." River's voice cracked at the end.

"Promise me, Magnolia." He pleaded with her.

"I promise, River." She said, this time wiping his tears. "You can talk to me too.."

River closed his eyes. "I don't want you to look at me differently.."

"I won't."

"Yes, you will." He let out a humorless laugh and shook his head. "I couldn't take it if you looked at me in a different light."

"I won't push you. But I need you to know that I've never met anyone, outside of my family, that I care about as strong as you, Keanu, and Tony." Magnolia admitted.

"Even back at home, I grew apart from my friends. I care about you all. And if it wasn't for Woody and my grandparents.." She didn't finish.

River tilted her head so she would look at him. "What?"

"I wouldn't have been here." She said, looking him in the eyes.

River inhaled sharply, knowing what she meant by those words. It bothered him.

"Mag.." He said, leaning to rest his forehead on hers. River tried to hold back but he couldn't.

He captured her lips in a kiss, moving back her wild hair.