Chapter 71

Keane

"Good morning, Mr. Harrington. Our meeting with the parties from Japan starts in fifteen minutes. Here are the messages from your business associates," my secretary was waiting for me in front of the elevator, and once I stepped out of it she began her usual morning briefing about the day's schedule. 

She handed me little notes with the names and some details about the call. "The meeting with the partners from Singapore was postponed to tomorrow. There are five more calls about our project. I wrote everything down and told them that you will call them today." 

I took the pieces of paper she was handing me and looked through them. I took a deep breath. It was going to be a long and busy day. "Ah, and there are several letters for you. I already left them on your desk."

I nodded at my secretary and smiled in gratitude as I walked passed her as she had already gone to sit behind her desk to continue with her work, "Thank you, Astrid." I went into my office but before I closed my door behind me, I stuck my head back out again, "I need a double shot of espresso today, please." I smiled apologetically to my secretary before closing the door behind me and going to my desk.

I went over to my desk and dove right into my work. Before the meeting with the Japanese partners I made some calls. After the meeting I went back to my office to finish my tasks for the day. The big project I had been working on was almost over. There was a final meeting with the Singaporean business partners the next day, but I was sure that it would go smoothly. After the following day I could finally enjoy the fruit of the success and hard work.

Towards the end of the work day I closed my laptop and lifted my arms over my head to loosen my arms and shoulder muscles. I stood up and moved my neck from side to side because it had gone stiff. After looking out the window at the amazing view of the city I left out a sigh of relief as I was finally done for the day. Before grabbing my briefcase to put in my laptop and my other belongings I looked through the letters that I had pushed aside. There were several letters relating to the project that I would deal with the next day. And then there was an envelope addressed to me but I did not recognize the name of the sender.

I curiously opened it and pulled out the content of the envelope.

There were pictures of Eden and Vic together. Vic was holding out a bouquet of roses to Eden, another one with Eden holding the flowers, and then there was one from another day with other flowers. Vic and Eden in front of the hospital where Eden worked. There were pictures of Vic holding Eden's hand. Vic and Eden in front of her place, as well as pictures of them in other places.

I did not know how to react to the pictures. It was just the previous night that I had talked to Eden and she had said that everything was fine and that there was nothing going on worth mentioning. I was surprised to say the least, but also confused, disappointed, and annoyed. 

What was the meaning of this? Who would send him these pictures? What was going on? Had Eden been lying? Why had she not mentioned Vic? Not even once? 

I made a call to find out the identity of the sender. The name was a fake.

What the hell?

I called Eden a few times, but she did not answer. She had to have been at work. After giving up contacting her, I called Levi, but that was also fruitless as he too did not pick up the phone. I went back to my desk and opened my laptop again. It did not take long to search and I easily found articles about Eden and Vic "hooking up behind my back" online. My nostrils flared as I took a deep breath. The feeling of anger was slowly building up in my system. 

Angrily, I picked up the phone and called my secretary, "Astrid, I want you to book me a flight home for tomorrow. Yes, right after the meeting. I don't care which flight. Economy is fine too. I don't care." My voice was stern. I knew Astrid was not at fault about the whole situation, but I had a hard time containing the rising emotions in my body.