Chapter 75

Keane

Levi picked me up at the airport and dropped me at Eden's place. I didn't even think about my luggage, but just got off once he had slowed down enough for me to safely exit the car. On our way to her apartment I saw recently posted pictures of Eden and Vic having a drink at the bar across the street. That was not the worst part, although those images had riled me up enough. The snapshots that infuriated me the most were the ones in which Eden was being carried away in Vic's arms, visibly inebriated, into her apartment building.

What the hell. What possible explanation could there be for those pictures? 

I ran up the stairs to her apartment because I couldn't be bothered to wait for the elevator, and since I had a key to her place I didn't hesitate to let myself in. Inside her place everything was dark. I didn't dare switch on the lights because I was scared of what I would see. In that moment the darkness was some sort of reprieve from my worst fears turning into reality. 

My steps were hesitant as I was getting closer to her bedroom. I wasn't sure if I was ready for what could potentially await me in there. Once I was close to her bed I was gutted. The scene that unfolded before my very eyes came from my worst nightmares. Eden was in bed with her ex. She moved towards Vic and kissed his shoulder and neck. 

My body was rigid, my heart racing, blood rushing ice-cold through my veins, my temple was throbbing, my hands were balled into fists, nails digging brutally into my own flesh. I gave into my fury and went berserk. Everything I did was done instinctively. I was a beast pouncing on my prey who dared to touch something that belonged to me. 

I had Vic pressed against the wall with my hand, and as I stared at him, his lips formed a mischievous smile that meant "I won". I flew into a fit of catastrophic rage, my whole body and demeanor promised pain and sorrow. Vic was no match for me. He tried to escape rather than fight back, and when he did take a swing, he missed or landed a punch by pure luck. Soon I had him pinned down on the ground and my fists rained down punches on his face. His face was bloody but his eyes still wore the look of triumph, taunting me. 

I didn't see or hear anything around me and I felt rather than knew that I had hurt Eden when she tried to come between me and Vic. But that knowledge at the back of my head didn't stop me. My wrath was unforgiving. 

When Levi pulled me off Vic, he had just lost his consciousness and I was done with him. My whole body was still shaking with rage as I stood close by while Levi inspected Vic to check his condition.

"A little longer and you could have killed him, Keane!" Levi looked at me with a severe and intense gaze, "What the hell?" He was incredulous, he never could have imagined that I was capable of such violence, and neither could I. It was because Eden mattered the most, if she hadn't then her betrayal would have hurt as much.

I couldn't hold his gaze because I knew he was right. In that moment it hit me what I had done. I looked away from him and saw Eden lying on the ground. All the anger that I felt moments ago disappeared immediately. The sight of her didn't enrage me, instead all I felt was sadness at her betrayal. I felt defeated and overwhelmed by the whole situation. 

The person that I loved the most hurt me more than anyone else ever before. The scar from Amanda's betrayal was a tiny scratch compared to the one that Eden's infidelity resulted in. She completely destroyed my heart, tore it away from my chest and shredded it into million tiny pieces. 

I felt lost in that moment. All my senses ceased to function. I didn't see, hear, or feel anything. Completely numb, I walked away from it all. I had to leave. Be alone. 

I didn't need anyone. 

I didn't need her.

*