Chapter Thirteen: Bad News

Once Dustin left - saying all he needed to - my friends turned to me for an explanation. Knowing it's not something Dustin wants known I just said that our quarrel was settled.

"Those bruises, he was just as messed up as you were," Lillyana said. I shrugged.

"Well I did tell you we fought each other. We did so on equal terms and had a conversation," I said, "Well anyways. I'm tired so I better head to bed."

"Hold it right there, Mister. You really think we're just going to accept that answer? You've been dancing around and hiding stuff from us since we got here. I'm not leaving and neither are you until you tell us everything. We're your friends, right?" Candice said putting her hands on her hips.

"Look, I said I'd explain more once everyone arrived. The others are running a bit late I admit, so bare with me one more day. It's a long story, one I will not repeat twice," I said seriously. Even Max, who knows more than everyone else looked surprised at my resolve.

"Whoe, Man, chill. We are all just really friggin tired of the run around. If they aren't here by noon tomorrow, then promise us you will explain everything. With or without the others," Naxos said.

"I suppose that's fair enough. You have a deal then," I said and then left. Man it's been a long day. Exhausted I headed to my room to try and get some rest. What is taking the others so long? I'll try calling them tomorrow to see what's holding them up, it's too late tonight and I'm just not in the mood to talk to anyone else tonight. I laid on my bed and fell instantly to sleep.

In the morning Lillyana tried shaking me awake and I protested. What time is it anyways? She sighed and shook me again.

"Come on get up, there's serious news about your friends. You have to come see this," she said and I sat up. The serious tone in her voice told me it was something bad. I didn't have time to think before my feet hit the floor and I was following her to the main hall, where they had the big screen on.

"What-" I was cut off by what was playing on the news. I pushed my way to the front of the group.

"A tragedy struck when the train bridge collapsed while the train was in motion atop of it. We are still confirming casualties, but we have confirmed two students from Manota High School as well as over 100 other passengers have unfortunately perished," the news woman said, "the cause for the bridge collapse is still under investigation and the police and rescue members have refused a statement at this time."

I pulled out my cell instantly and called each of their phones, which went straight to voice mail. Shit. They have to be okay, the two students couldn't be them could they? If so was this an accident or has the enemy caught on? Did I cause this? "Damn it," I muttered and ran to the roof. I needed to calm down before I hurt someone. Before I lose my cool and panic.

Lillyana found me there an hour later and I sighed. "You said it was about my friends, but how do you even know that?" I asked, "Did I tell you their names?" I asked.

"No, when I heard about the train I recalled you saying that they were running pretty late. So I talked to the Captain and he showed me the list and I confirmed it with the list the rescuers have posted. I'm really sorry, Tyrian. We're they close friends?" She said and asked.

"I'm not sure, so don't repeat this to anyone, but somehow I wonder if our enemies were behind the bridge collapse. If they found out about others coming here, I have no doubt they'd do something like that to stop us," I said, "still it's just a theory so I hope I can trust you not to say anything yet."

"You have a point though, it is a frightening possibility. I'm sure you are not the only one to think of that possibility either," she said.

"If it is true though, I - I'm the one who got them killed by asking them here," I said.

"If it's true the enemy is responsible for this, not you. As far as the outside world knows they were just here on a trip together as friends. Not even the ones here knew why you asked them to come until you yourself told them," she said. I sighed. Yes but if I hadn't called them here, they wouldn't have been on that train in the first place.

I told her I was going to go talk the the Captain. She nodded saying that that was a good idea. However, I really wasn't planning on going to see him. Right now all I needed was some space and time to process all of this. I know calling them here to fight was the plan from the start and I knew dying was an option, but I didn't think I'd lose anyone so soon. Not before the battle even started.

I left her on the roof and just wandered around the building, avoiding people as I did. If this was the enemy, I would think that they'd send us another warning or take credit for it at the very least.

If it really was just a coincidental accident that they happened to be a part of I'd think at least one of them would've used a spell to escape. Which leads me to suspect they were killed before the accident, tortured, or at least knocked out before the accident occured. That is my reasoning behind thinking the enemy was behind all of it. Maybe to cover their tracks or to make sure they were dead, either way it's possible.

Since Cody and Ray were the casualties on the train, I have to wonder where the third party was now. By my calculations Nash should've made it at the same time those two did. It was the same reason I warned Max about Ray and him fighting. I better call Nash to make sure he's okay.

Pulling out my phone I dialed his number and it went to voicemail. That didn't mean anything though, he has a habit of not answering his phone. I dialed twice more before I got an answer.

"What the hell do you want?" He muttered clearly annoyed by my repetitive calls.

"Nash, It's me. Your running a bit behind so I thought I'd better call to find out your ETA. Also wanted to make sure you were okay. I heard about the train," I said.

"Yeah, that's the reason I'm so late I had to take the bus instead because of the train accident. However, I'm pulling up in a taxi as we speak," he said and I sighed in relief. At least one of them made it.

"Listen, Nash, about the train accident. Well, two people I called in were on it. I'm telling you because, well it was Ray and Cody," I mumbled. He went silent for a moment.

"Yeah, I know. I saw the casualties list," he said. I'm not sure what his tone portrayed, maybe Anger or Sadness? I just can't tell, perhaps both, maybe more?

"I'll meet you at the front door," I said and we hung up. My phone instantly rang again and I answered, "Hello?"

"Tyrian, it's me, Alaska. I have bad news. Austin and I won't be able to make it there for a while. We were pulled away to investigate that train accident so. Please don't be mad I know whatever it is you needed us for is important and we will be there as soon as we can," she said and I sighed.

"It's fine, take your time. Two of my friends were on that train so if you find out anything please let me know. I appreciate it, talk to you guys soon," I replied and we said our good byes.

As soon as I hung up I hurried towards the front door to let Nash in. When I got there he was already talking to a guard outside the door. I told the guard it was okay to let him in and I informed him he'd be my last guest for a while. "There are a few preparations I have to tend to but you can bunk with my friend Max. If your not allergic to dogs that is," I said. He shook his head no and nodding I led him to his and Max's room.

Knocking, I told Max I was coming in with a guest. I heard him stumble out of bed and he came to open the door. He apologized for sleeping in so long then looked at Nash. I introduced them and told them to meet me after lunch in the old gym again. It was time since it appears everyone that's going to show up are all here. I texted all the others to do the same and I went to inform the Captain.