1 ♢ Letting Loose

♢ One Month (and a half) Later ♢

One Month (and a half) Later

  Growing up, Oliver Scott's mother told him everyday that he was special. She told him he was perfect and better than the rest of the kids. However, almost like balancing an equation, his father made sure to let him know that he was worthless and incompetent, a waste of space and time. Of course he only said this when he was on his drunken rampages. The short amount of time he was sober (nine to five while he was at work) he remained silent as if Oliver wasn't even worth talking to. Sometimes Oliver believed that the angry rampages were better than the agonising silence.

  His parents divorced, his mother remarried and his father got clean. Miraculously, his father actually accepted him after rehab and introduced him to the world of Scott Corp, a bank and stock brokerage firm where they made their billions. Suddenly, Oliver understood his father's alcoholism. As CEO of his self-made company, Ed Scott was under a lot of pressure. Of course it didn't justify his actions but still, it offered an explanation.

Meanwhile, Penelope Scott (née Ramos) remarried Steven Cheng who had been her therapist. Oliver could only imagine what happened at their sessions together. It was inappropriate and Oliver didn't approve. But the only good thing that came out of the marriage (aside from his mother's lifelong happiness) was Mai, his step sister who was also his best friend. Even after her bastard of a father kicked Oliver out of the family home over his 'raucous behaviour' (he threw one party where a few idiotic kids got alcohol poisoning and had to leave in an ambulance), Mai stuck with him. She was three years younger than him but seemed to hold way more wisdom.

  "Oli," Mai sighed, taking yet another unsolicited swig from his whiskey decanter. "Just go apologise. It's your fault."

  Oliver sighed in frustration and turned to face his sister angrily. "Don't you think I did that?! Nora doesn't want me. She made it clear." He grabbed the whiskey from his sister and gulped a bit too much down.

  Nora Lawrence was the current cause of his heartbreak. His fiancée- well ex-fiancée- had decided to walk out on him after he came home high on cocaine. What he wished she would realise was that cocaine was normal in their social group. It was almost unavoidable. Maybe he shouldn't have threatened her or trashed the house after she left but still. She should have been more empathetic to his situation, his addiction. He couldn't help himself. Why couldn't she accept him for who he was, a loving fiancé who did cocaine occasionally? The cocaine didn't change the way he felt about her or the commitment he had to their relationship so why was she so uptight? She didn't have a job like him. She didn't understand the pressure of having your father breathe down your neck while giving you responsibilities that even people with more experience than him wouldn't be able to handle. He needed to blow off steam every once in a while and he was careful so he wouldn't overdose or do too much damage to his health. She didn't  understand.