24 ♢ Rewire

"Oliver, I'm back! Where are you?" Ed Scott called out after entering the house

Oliver remained quiet, hoping his father wouldn't find him. However, he wasn't really concealed and as soon as his father opened the door of the living room, he found Oliver curled up on the corner of the couch.

"I'm so glad you're back!" He switched on the lights. "Why were you sitting in the dark?"

Oliver didn't respond.

"I was thinking we should go out an celebrate! Wagyu beef and... Oliver? Are you okay?"

Oliver looked up at his father through his red, tearful eyes and shrugged.

"Sorry..."

"Why are you apologising?" His father asked as he rushed to his side.

Oliver shrugged again and rubbed his eyes.

"Son... what happened?"

"I... I don't know what I expected coming back. Certainly not this anyway. I've just had such a shitty day. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. I nearly relapsed today!"

"What went wrong? What happened?"

Oliver stayed mute, hugging the pillow on his lap tighter and staring into space.

Ed Scott sighed and placed his hand on his shoulder. "I think you're finding it hard to open up to me. And that's okay. I know I would have hated if my father knew everything about my life. What about therapy? At least then you can rant to a therapist without restraints. Might give you a sense of anonymity."

Oliver groaned and leaned back on the sofa, staring aimlessly at the high ceiling. "I'm so sick of all the therapy and doctors and detoxes. Why can't I just get better? Why can't I just be happy?"

"It doesn't work that way. I wish it did because I hate seeing you like this-"

"Sorry-"

"Stop apologising. Never, ever say sorry for expressing your feelings."

"It's just.... being emotional doesn't feel right. I'm too old. It's just so childish and..."

"Unmasculine? The manliest thing you can do is show emotion. Society tells you you shouldn't cry or be sad because of your age and gender and that's why it feels strange when you express your emotions. But, I promise you it's okay if you do. No one will think less of you. No one of significance anyway. It's such a terrible idea to bottle up your feelings. That's why I think a therapist is a good idea for the moment. Until you regain your friends, a therapist is probably the person you'll feel most comfortable talking to."