6 ♢ Home

"Ollie!"

  "Ollie!"

Mai attacked Oliver with a bear hug as soon as she opened the door.

"Hey, Mai." He tightened his arms around her. "Here. I brought some flowers."

  He handed her a bouquet of hot pink dahlias and she grinned.

"These are beautiful! Thank you. My dad and Penelope are in the kitchen. Come on!"

Mai dragged him through his old home and into the kitchen. The entire house seemed foreign to him. It was as if he hadn't spent the first seventeen years of his life there. His eyes caught sight of the height chart he made for himself on the kitchen's doorframe when he was younger. It was faint but it displayed his heights from ages four to thirteen. His mother started the tradition but forgot about it after she met Steven. Fucking Steven.

Penelope Samuel (previously Scott but she reverted back to her maiden name after the divorce) wasn't a bad mother. She was very loving when she wanted to be. But it felt like somewhere down the line she just gave up on him. When they met each other, which had become quite rare, she would greet him warmly and talk to him normally but as soon as she left he wouldn't hear from her for another few months.

"Oliver, darling, how are you?" His mom asked, planting a kiss on each cheek.

"I'm good. "

"Oliver," Steven said, acknowledging Oliver's presence in his douchey voice. He nodded his head towards him.

Oliver swallowed down any insults. He promises himself that he would try and remain calm and collected. For Mai's sake.

"Steve," He replied back, knowing that Steven hated when people called him Steve. Hopefully that dig would sustain Oliver and keep him going until the end of the dinner.

Mai pushed a pile of plates onto his hands. "Help me set the table."

Oliver took them from her and placed one on each placemat in the adjoining dining room. Steven watched him from across the room, crossing his arms and peering at him suspiciously.

  "You okay, Steve?"

  Steven was about to shoot back with something but Penelope cleared her throat and glared at him.

  "Yes," He spat out.

  Mai nervously looked at both of them before bringing the final dish to the table.

"Um, I'm just going to go wash my hands. Be right back," Oliver said, excusing himself.

He made his way to the bathroom and locked the door behind him. There, he took out a small vial from his pocket and tapped out its white powdery content onto the back of his hand. With one deep snort, he managed to clear his hand of any evidence and popped the bottle back into his pocket. He had to top up. If he didn't he would get really irritable and, considering he was about to sit down his sworn enemy, it was very necessary.