13 ♢ Ball and Chain

Don't forget to show some love, you beautiful people

 "Charlie," Oliver exhaled, his throat suddenly feeling dry

  "Yeah?" He laughed awkwardly. His tone was happy, excited, unknowing.

  Oliver's head was spinning. His throat felt blocked by some spiky obstruction. Blood rushed up to his head and he suddenly felt very warm. He sat back in his chair, in shock by his own stupidity. How could he have let this happen?

  "Oliver? You there?"

No. No. No. He couldn't do it. He couldn't tell Charlie he was back together with Nora. It would ruin everything between them.

How could he just forget about Charlie? It was like his mind went blank as soon as he saw Nora standing there in their apartment. Everything before that was erased.

This was the moment he had to choose between the two of them. Foolishly, he hadn't seen it coming. He didn't really think he could date Charlie while simultaneously striving for Nora, did he? Now he had to choose. He had to pick Nora, right? After nearly six years together and so much love between them, it was inevitable really. The choice was made for him before he even got to think about it.

He loved Nora. He really did. Over the years his love for her never diminished. It may have been blurred by certain obstacles and dimmed by certain pills and powders but it was always still there in magnitude. She made him happy.

  But Charlie opened his eyes to a whole other realm. With him, Oliver felt a different type of happy. It was jittery and butterfly-laced. It was relaxed yet excited, comfortable yet ambitious. Charlie made him feel emotions he had never felt before. And he had been excited to see what came next.

  "Uh, yeah. I- I'm here."

  "Okay, then why are you being weird? What's wrong?"

  Oliver let out a shaky breath of dread. He couldn't let this drag on any longer, even though that felt like the best option then. Being unfaithful to either of them wasn't something he could ever see himself do.

  "I'm... shit, I-I don't know how to say this."

  "Say what?"

"Charlie... I'm so sorry."

Oh God. It was happening. It was really happening. He felt sick.

"What? Why?"

Oliver closed his eyes to mentally prepare himself for what he was about to say. "Nora came home yesterday..."