xxiii. CHAPTER TWENTY

~*~
warning: mentions of abuse, mature language

     The school day finished sooner than Mary thought. Her last period was history, and the final bell just rang. She picked up her books, walking out of the classroom with Steve as they were discussing the homework that was assigned. Their talking was more arguing, but it wasn't shouting. 

     "No, I'm telling you that you're wrong. World War 2 ended in 1945. Look it up in the book, Steve," Mary argued with him.

     "Fine, whatever," Steve shrugged. They approached her locker, Mary beginning to grab what she needed for her night of homework. They began to walk outside to the parking lot, Mary spotting Billy leaned up against his car with a cigarette between his teeth. "I'll see you later, Mary." Steve waved as he walked to his own car, Mary approaching Billy. When she reached him, Billy pulled out the cigarette, blowing the smoke in her face. Mary coughed slightly, waving the smoke away from her. 

     "So, you gonna tell me which school you chose?" Billy asked, keeping the cigarette balanced between his fingers. 

     "I think I'm going to make you wait," Mary smiled, her hands finding their way to his belt loops. She tried to pull him off the car, but she wasn't as strong as she thought she was. Billy smiled at her efforts, pulling himself off the car for her. 

     "Come on, doll. Don't do that to me," he smirked, tilting his head lightly. 

     "Well, I am doing it to you already. You know, come to think of it, only Steve knows where I'm going," Mary said, looking up as if she was thinking. Billy chuckled lightly at her, picking her up and twirling her around. Mary could feel the girls glaring at her, judging her silently. She wasn't stupid, she'd heard them call her a whore and a slut. But it's not like she could do anything about it, they were just girls being jealous. 

     Nevertheless, Mary laughed when her back hit the cold hood of the car. She pulled at her jacket sleeves, hating how cold it was. Somehow, Billy was the warmest thing in proximity to hold onto. It's not like she was protesting. 

     "I love hearing that laugh," Billy said as he got close to her face. Their lips were just inches from each other, and Mary wanted nothing more than for Billy to kiss her right then and there. "But since you're going to make me wait, I'll make you wait." He leaned up again, sticking the cigarette between his mouth. He grabbed Mary's hands, pulling her off the hood of the car. "Come on, Max is coming." Mary was shocked as he wasn't trying to attach himself to her still, which meant he was being serious. She opened the door, Max picking up her skateboard and getting in the back seat. 

     The drive to Mary's house was quiet, with only Billy's music playing loudly. Mary would glance to Billy to see if he was actually being serious about making her wait, and he really was. Max noticed how quiet it was between them, and she was a bit concerned herself. She noticed that since Billy and Mary started dating, something changed in him. 

     He wasn't angry anymore. He wasn't a jerk anymore, and he seemed to be more thoughtful. He would do things without question as if Mary was in the room to see him be good. He was trying to be better. For her. But this scared Max. She didn't want Billy to go back to the way he was. She hated when he was angry. 

     "Is everything okay?" Max finally asked. 

     "Yeah, Billy's just pouting because I won't tell him which college I chose," Mary informed her. Billy glanced to Mary, then he looked back at the road. 

     "Ooh, what did you choose?" Max asked, leaning forward in her seat. Billy looked to Mary, motioning for her to continue. A smirk fell on her face, and she motioned for Max to lean in closer Mary covered her lips, whispering into Max's ear.