xxxvii. CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

~*~
April 29th, 1985

     Mary paced around her room as she was thinking about what she had set up for Billy later that day. She stopped again, going to her phone and dialing Steve. Once the phone was picked up, she didn't even get the chance to talk. 

     "Mary, he is going to like it. Stop worrying," Steve's voice immediately said. 

     "You're right, you're right. He's going to like it," Mary said, still nervous with her plan. 

     "Come on, it's good. Hell, I'd be pretty happy if you did this for me," Steve said with a small laugh. 

     "It was most of my savings," Mary said with a sigh. "Not all, though. I still have a good amount." 

     "It's good. He'll like it." 

     "Ooh, like what?" Dustin's voice asked. Mary's eyes widened, and she immediately began to storm to her brothers room. She swung the door open, Dustin beginning to grab different toy weapons. 

     "Get off the phone!" Mary yelled at him. She took it from his hands, slamming it onto the receiver and going back to her room. She picked her phone up again, listening to Steve laughing. "Stop laughing, Harrington." 

     "It was funny," he responded. "Stop worrying, Mary. Everything's going to be fine. Call me tomorrow about it, okay?" 

     "Okay," Mary said with a sigh. They said their goodbyes, hanging up their phones again. Mary looked to the present on her desk, walking that way and examining it. She took a deep breath again, grabbing them and shoving them in her bag. She checked her watch to see it was time for to leave to get Billy. It was now or never. 

~*~

     Billy could hear the car horn honk outside of his house, his head turning that way quickly. He left his jacket on the chair, not bothering to pick it up seeing as how hot it was. He walked through the house carefully, stepping outside to see Mary standing by her car with a yellow sundress on. 

     "Mary Henderson!" Billy called with a wide smile on his face. He stopped at the bottom of the porch steps, taking in how she looked again. He breathed out at her appearance, wiping his mouth as if to get the grin off his face. "I mean..." He stopped his sentence, beginning to walk towards her. "You look absolutely fucking stunning." 

     "You must be rubbing off on me," Mary said sheepishly. 

     "Come here," Billy said, opening his arms. She walked to him, the two kissing in an embrace. Once they parted, Billy smiled with his eyes closed. "This is already amazing." 

     "It only gets better from here," Mary told him. He hummed in excitement, then perked up slightly. 

     "Can I drive your infamous Impala?" he asked with a smirk. Mary took a second to think about it, then rolled her eyes. 

     "Fine. If you wreck my car, I will trash your Camaro," Mary said, holding up the Impala keys to him. 

     "Deal," he said quickly. He snatched the keys and walked around to the drivers side of the car, getting in quickly. Mary stepped into the passenger seat, turning her head to see Billy with a wide smile as he admired the drivers side of the car. "This is... awesome." 

     "Do you want to geek out some more or are you going to drive?" Mary asked with a small laugh. 

     "Oh, I'm driving," Billy answered. He started up the car, smiling widely at the sound of the engine roaring to life. He began to drive away from the house, beginning to speed towards the lake. Led Zeppelin was blasting over the car speakers, and Billy was screaming every single word. Mary loved watching him be so happy. It was rare to see him this happy, so she was glad she got to witness it.