xxxii. CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

~*~
warning: anger, violence, mentions of masturbation
and mentions of drunk driving

     The shower water hit Billy's back, and he barely cared about how hot the temperature was. He didn't notice that he was crying until after he turned the water off. Tears had fallen from his eyes, hitting the ground with a thud. He wiped his eyes quickly, grabbing the towel from the wrack and wrapping it around his waist. He stood in front of the mirror, staring at the porcelain counter top as Mary's words were ringing in his head over and over. 

     He wanted to believe that it wasn't over, he wanted to think this was just some sick prank that someone was forcing her to do. He also saw the pain in her eyes, and he heard it in her words as she broke up with him. A small sob escaped his lips, his eyes shutting as he wanted to crumple to the ground. He screamed then, fist colliding with the mirror and glass shattering everywhere. He cried out, falling to the ground and leaning against the wall. He held his head in his hands, blood running down his arm from where his knuckles hit the glass. 

     Billy finally brought his head back up, glancing to see the blood still trickling down his skin a bit. His head fell back, and he looked to his room where he could see his made bed. He remembered Mary doing that in the morning every time before she would leave. He could practically see her making the bed. 

~*~

     Mary tucked the bed sheet under the mattress, grabbing the pillow from the floor and throwing it to the bed. The record on the bedside table finished, her head turning that way and looking at it. She stood up straight, looking to the bathroom where Billy was showering. 

     "Hey, what do you want to hear next?" Mary called, pulling the needle up and taking the old record off. 

      "Come join me and I'll tell you!" Billy responded, Mary rolling her eyes at his efforts. He knew she wouldn't join him, but it was worth a shot every time. "Try Mix Number Four!" Mary hummed slightly, bending down and grabbing the box of records. She went through a couple before finding the one Billy had told her. She placed it on the turntable, and it scratched slightly before playing. Hungry Like the Wolf started playing, Mary snickering slightly at the innuendo Billy was sending. 

     "You try too hard sometimes!" she told him, beginning to walk towards the bathroom. She slightly pushed open the door, glancing in as Billy didn't respond. "Hargrove, you in there?" 

     "Don't stop talking, doll," Billy said, sounding breathless. Mary took a second, then realized what was going on. 

     "Oh, my god. Are you jacking off?" Mary asked, eyes wide. Billy chuckled at her words, turning off the shower. He pushed open the curtain, stepping out before grabbing the towel. "Could you at least put your towel on first?" 

     "Just showing you I'm ready if you want," Billy offered. Mary took a second, rolling her eyes at him. 

     "Turn the water back on," she said. Billy smirked, leaning into the shower and turning it back on as Mary undressed herself. 

~*~

     Billy stopped himself from remembering the rest as he could hear someone knocking on his door. He didn't say anything, and barely moved as he grabbed his boxers from their spot on the sink. He pulled them up, drying the rest of his body slowly. 

     "Billy?" Susan questioned. "Are you okay? I heard screaming." 

     "Go away, Susan," Billy told her, eyes dead and fixed on the cabinet in front of him. The door opened anyways, the click of heels coming into he bathroom. Susan gasped at the sight, eyes landing on Billy on the floor.

     "Oh, Billy. What happened?" she asked, immediately beginning to sweep some of the glass up together. 

     "I told you to go away," Billy grumbled, not stopping her from cleaning up the shards of glass. 

     "Your father is going to throw a fit," Susan said quickly, grabbing the trash bin and shoving the pieces of glass into it. 

     "Let him," Billy said, tears brimming his eyes again. Susan looked down to him, realizing that he wasn't just angry. He was broken. She bent down slowly, beginning to pull Billy into her embrace. He sobbed again, Susan holding the boy against her as he cried. 

~*~

     Hopper hadn't moved since Mary fell asleep on his couch. Eleven had gone to her room when he told her to, and now he was alone in the living room while Mary slept. He'd listened to the full story. About Alex, and Eliot, and what happened in the parking lot. He didn't care much for the boy drama of it all, but it played a key roll in what was happening. 

     Mary was on the couch, pretending to be asleep in hopes that Hopper would leave her alone. She wanted to cry again, to be alone and just cry. Eventually, she could hear Hopper stand and go to his own room for the night. Mary quietly turned over on the couch, tears beginning to leave her eyes again. She thought back to the moment she saw the light leave Billy's eyes. It made her heart break, and she shut her eyes as she remembered the broken look in his eyes. 

     The two teenagers were broken. 

~*~

     Mary didn't go to school for a week. The day after she'd showed up at Hopper's door, he'd taken her home and told her mother to keep a close eye on her. Mrs. Henderson let Mary take the week off, which meant Mary staying in bed all day until her brother brought her homework or food. Dustin was in and out, playing board games with her and trying to cheer her up. 

     Billy, on the other hand, wasn't doing good at all. At school, he felt like everyone was staring at him. Like they all thought he was weak, or pathetic for getting broken up with. In his first hour, he would look to his left and forget that Mary wasn't there for some reason, or he'd tear up thinking about her. 

     In his third, he was too distracted to play basketball, and that's what led to the coach benching him for the next districts game. He didn't care, he just wanted answers. In sixth, he would walk in and see the empty seat behind Nancy, then slowly make his way towards his own behind it. Sometimes, Alex would walk in with a wide smirk on his face, and Billy was scared that Mary had something to do with it each time. 

     After a few days, the sadness turned into rage. He began blasting his own music again, not giving a flying fuck who was looking at him anymore. But that all broke one night. He was sitting at the lake, the one he and Mary always stayed by in hopes that she'd show up. He drank until he could barely see, not caring anymore. He stumbled to his car, drunkenly falling into the drivers seat. He took a few deep breaths, trying to gain back his vision. He pulled a water bottle from the door, chugging it in hopes that he'd be okay in a second. It barely helped, but he didn't care.

     Billy was speeding the entire drive back into Hawkins. He didn't exactly know where he was going, but he knew he couldn't go home. His dad would kick him to the curb after giving him a beating. So, he drove to the only other place he knew. His car came to a screeching halt in front of the house, and he slammed the door when he stepped out. He tripped over the curb on the way up the hill, but caught himself before he could hit the ground. He pushed himself up, going to the familiar window and white curtains. 

     Mary was lying in the center of her room, studying her ceiling for what felt like the billionth time that week. She was tracing the lines with her eyes, and every so often made shapes out of them. The sudden harsh taps on her window made Mary sit up, eyes wide in fear of who it could be. She crawled to the window, pulling the curtains back to see none other than Billy Hargrove. 

-----

what do you think billy's gonna do??
or what is mary gonna do??
or what are you going to do when you read it??

anyways... hope you enjoyed the chapter?
maybe?
it was painful?
sorry, lol

hope you enjoyed anyways :)