xlvi. CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

~*~
warning: minor mature language

     Mary's car rolled up to the house with the red door, the one that Eleven had seen when she was in the void. The three got out of the car, looking at the house first.

     "Is this it?" Max asked. Eleven nodded, all of them getting out of the car. Eleven unlocked the front door with her powers, the three walking in slowly. They each removed the hoods to their rain coats, Mary slowly shutting the door behind them. She joined Max and Eleven who were looking at family photo's. 

     "This is her house," Mary stated with wide eyes. 

     "What?" Eleven asked. 

     "Heather's house," Max stated. Laughing echoed from the dining room, Max and Eleven going that way. Mary studied the pictures a bit more, her heart beating inside her chest. She couldn't think that Billy would... Would he cheat on her? Mary shook her head, walking to where she saw Max and Eleven standing. When she appeared behind them, Billy, who was sitting with Heather's parents, sat up straight with wide eyes. 

     "I'm sorry, who is this dripping all over my living room right now?" Tom asked in an angry voice. 

    "I'm sorry," Billy said, eyes glued to Mary. "Janet, Tom, this is my sister Maxine. What on earth are you doing here? Is something wrong?" Billy now stood in front of Max who had a stern look on her face. 

     "Can we talk?" Mary asked, trying to maintain a steady voice. Billy looked at her, something ticking inside of him. He furrowed his eyebrows, not knowing what it was. 

     "We just wanted to make sure everything was okay," Max said, Billy looking down at her. 

     "Why wouldn't it be okay?" Billy asked. Mary screwed her eyes shut, laughing a bit. 

    "I'm sorry, I can't do this," Mary said, shaking her head at Billy. She grabbed him by the ear, Billy wincing in pain. 

    "Ow, ow, ow, shit, Mary!" Billy exclaimed as she pulled him out of the living room. She opened the front door, stepping outside with him. "What the hell?" 

     "No, no, stop it!" Mary yelled, pointing at him. "I asked you what was wrong, I asked you so many times!" Billy was taken back by her yelling, never hearing her scream like this before. "I trusted that you wold tell me, and you ignored me. You've ignored me for days now. And for what? For god damn Heather?!" 

      "Mary, it's-" 

     "No, shut up!" Mary screamed. "Who even are you?" Billy took a second, not answering her. His lips trembled as tears were running down Mary's cheeks. "You said you loved me... more than anything. Was that a lie, too?" 

     "You wouldn't understand if I told you," Billy said, his body shaking. He could barely keep the monster down in front of Mary, but he couldn't tell her what was inside of him. The Mind Flayer wouldn't let him.

     "I wouldn't understand what? That you're cheating on me?" Mary asked, anger fuming inside of her. "Do you love me or not, Billy?" 

     "I don't want to hurt you," he whispered, still shaking a bit. 

     "Well, it's too late for that," Mary responded. Billy's heart shattered then, and he knew he'd lost her. It was that things fault. It made him do it, it made him do everything. And now, it was making him lose Mary.

     "I can't leave, Mary," Billy spoke. "He won't let me. Please, it's not my fault." Mary shook her head, backing away from Billy. 

      "Tell Max I'll be in the car," Mary said. She turned and walked to the Impala, tears streaming down Billy's face. He tried to move his feet to go after her, but it's like they were stuck in place.