9

I hiked with Mochi in my back pack for days through the forest. For a rabbit with the ability to run so fast, he sure was lazy. I rolled my eyes as Mochi yawned. I almost thought we had lost the way until we finally came to a dirt road. I went left according to the map. I ended up springing since our food source was running low and we needed to get to the city fast. I started to notice that there was people getting closer so I stopped my super speed skill before I got to them. I casually walked to the gate to the kingdom as if I hadn't just been running at a speed most wouldn't even be able to see.

"Identity?" One of the guards questioned.

Shoot I have lived in the woods so long that I didn't have one.

"Umm..." I started. "How do I get an identity? My parents are away on a trip and sent me to live with my uncle..." I lied.

The guard sighed. "I'll set you up with one." He gestured to a door in the stone wall surrounding the kingdom. We walked through and he sat at a small desk. "Name?"

"Veronica." I stated

"Reason for entry?"

"To live with my uncle."

"Age?"

"14." I replied

"Alrighty then." He ripped off a piece of paper from his notepad. "Here you go."

"Thank you so much!" I said.

I continued through the gate and into the city. It was large to say the least but I was used to something a bit larger, I remembered the previous world with large sky scrapers and concrete paved roads. I looked around the bustling streets for a sign that might tell me what street I'm on. I couldn't find any. Instead I resorted to wandering around. The twists and turns confused me and I started to loose my sense of direction. Where was I? I noticed I was in a dark alley way now that seemed really sketchy. I pulled out a map to try to figure out where I was. This was bad idea. Suddenly as if on cue a voice came from behind me.

"Gimme your money and nobody gets hurt." A knife poked at my back. This idiot.

I quickly turned around and kicked his shin. Garrett always told me that sword fighting is not just about the sword. It's about being able to defend yourself. This never really made sense to me but seeing the situation I was in now, I guessed that he meant sword fighting meant nothing if the user had no sword. It's a good thing he taught me how to fight without one since I ended up not bringing mine in case people thought I was suspicious. I swung my fiat at his nose and swept my leg under his. He lost balance and tumbled onto the floor.

"Hey!" I shouted. "Never do that again. To anyone."

"I-I'm sorry." He stuttered shaking. "Please... spare me."

The knife he held was now in my hands I realized. That probably seems really threatening. I broke the flimsy knife in half.

"I'll spare you... for now." I smiled creepily then remembered I had my mask on and they couldn't see my face. At this point I was trying really hard to laugh as the man stumbled away clumsily. When he was finally gone I broke out into laughter. I tried to wipe away my tears but my hand was met with the smooth surface of the mask. Oh right. A figure hopped down from the shadows.

"Impressive." A voice laughed from behind me. "Most kids can't take down a grown man, granted he was drunk. Still."

I turned around. A boy around my age stood before me with his hands in his pocket casually leaning against the stone wall. His brown hair was messily styled and he wore a boyish smirk on his face. He turned his head to the side to a point that I couldn't see it after sizing me up a bit.

"Oh... you... are you a girl?" He questioned noticing that I was really a girl even though I was wearing pants instead of a skirt.

"Yeah..." my voice trailed off. "Skirts are kinda hard to move in."

"What's with the mask?" He asked noticing I had a white mask covering my whole face.

"Uh... a birthmark! I have a huge birthmark covering my face and it's super ugly!" I lied. "Hehe..."

The boy looked at me weirdly.

"Actually!" I remembered the address. "Do you know where this is?" I pointed at the address written on the map.

"Oh! That's Mr. Evans sword shop. Of course I know where that is." He said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I followed him out of the alley and onto the Main Street. We passed a few shops until we stopped at one with shining silver swords in the display window. An adventurer left the shop with a brand new silver sword and a bright smile. The door opened with the jingle of a bell.

"How can I help you young lads?" Asked a skinny 20 year old man at the counter.

"This person said they were looking for you." The boy said nonchalantly.

"Ah, thank you Wesley, now who might you be?" The skinny man asked.

"Veronica sir. I was sent my Garrett since he..." my voice trailed off. Tears stung my eyes but I held them in. "He's gone."

The man was shocked then looked down. "I understand. Wesley, please excuse us for a moment."

Wesley sat outside the shop by the window. I followed the skinny man into the back room. There was a kitchen with a table in which we sat at.

"Now, I received a letter around a month ago that if a girl in a mask ever came here, I was to look after her. I was shocked to see you in boys clothes though." He explained. "Garrett explained that he wanted you to live a normal and happy life so we agreed that once you turn 15 you will be enrolled in the Thordeon Kingdom Academy which is conveniently located here in Vilum city, the capital of Thordeon. Your enrollment will start next Fall. As long as you pass the entrance exams, which Garrett said he was quite confident in your abilities."

The skinny man breathed in after the long explanation. "Any questions?"

"Actually who was that guy?" I asked

"Who? Wesley? He's my assistant. He runs errands for me. Why? Interested?" He asked with a light smile.

"Nope." I replied with no emotion. I don't have time for that, I have to study for the entrance exams."

He sighed. "Alright, there should be a library two streets further down, I recommend you start there."

I exited the sword shop to walk to the library and noticed Wesley was still there sitting in front of the shop.

"Why are you still here?" I asked suspicious.

"You seem... interesting?" Wesley replied unsure how to answer the question. "I wanna hang out with you!"

"No," I replied walking off in the direction of the library.