14

Wesley and I hung out almost every single day until early fall rolled around.

"Mia! Your uniform is here!" Evan called.

I rushed down the stairs to find him with a box in his hands. I snatched the box from his hands and opened it hastily. Two uniforms sat neatly folded at the bottom of the box. I carefully took one out. It had short cuffed sleeves and boy shorts with suspenders and a tie while the other one had long cuffed sleeves a sweater vest and long pants. They both matched the school colors of white and blue.

"One of them is the uniform for winter when it gets cold." Evan informed me. "I also made sure to order a guy uniform since I know you aren't exactly fond of skirts. I got the smallest size there was so hopefully it fits."

"Thank you!" I cried enveloping Evan in a hug.

He laughed and smiled. "Your welcome. Don't forget to pack a bag for school tomorrow."

"I won't," I squealed as I rushed up the stairs. I found my backpack that I used for traveling and stuffed it with notebooks and writing supplies.

"Are we going somewhere again?" Mochi asked confused on why I was packing things in my travel bag.

"I have my first day of school tomorrow," I explained carefully. "You aren't coming. They don't allow pets on school grounds."

"Fine fine," he sighed. "I guess I'll just have to stay here with Synthia!"

"Synthia?" I questioned. "Who the heck is Synthia!?"

"The rabbit I told you about." He deadpanned. "She cares about me unlike you! You ignore me and hang out with that stupid Wesley!"

I sighed not wanting to admit that he was honestly kinda stupid. "I'll take you out to the town on my next day off, okay?"

Mochis smiled, at least I think he smiled, it was hard to tell with all his fur. "Okay."

"Veronica, Wesley's here!" Mr. Evan called.

"Be there in a sec!" I called back I then muttered to Mochi. "We'll talk about this later."

I stumbled down the stairs while pulling on a coat.

"Here." I gasped. "So, why are you here Wesley?"

"I'm bored. I figured that you the shorty is entertaining and we could go downtown and maybe to the forest?" He replied with a shrug. "Unless you're busy then..."

"No, I'm not, let's go!" I smiled.

I swung my arm around him as we marched out triumphantly. Mr. Evan's just looked at us weirdly and sighed. "These kids, I swear!"

I wandered the crowds with Wesley. We turned a corner to a street I didn't recognize. Where were we?

"This, my friend, is the rich part of town." Wesley grinned. "The high class ladies love to shop here and by expensive dresses."

I trailed away from him to look at a shop window. The display case showed off a wide variety of dresses filled with ruffles and sequins and I admired them all. I may prefer to wear practical clothes more often than not but being in a fancy gown just made me feel... pretty. A dress farther in the back caught my eye. It was a light pale green with subtle gold detailing. I breathed in wonder.

"Right, sometimes I forget you're a girl." Wesley deadpanned.

I glared in annoyance.

"I'm kidding I'm kidding!!" He laughed. "You know if you want it so badly I can buy it for you."

"What!?" I cried. "No no no no. Do you know how expensive that dress probably is!?"

He smirked. "You sure get flustered over dollar signs but yet, you laugh in the face of death when a man has a knife to your back."

"What can I say, I am one of a kind." I tilted my head.

"That you are," He laughed. "Shall we continue?"

He held out his hand and I grasped it firmly. I pulled him along the street stopping at a bakery to get some fancy sweets to go.

"What are you gonna get shorty?" He asked puzzled.

"I'm not sure." I answered before noticing something bright yellow in the display case. "Is that... lemon flavored!?"

"Ah, I see you have an exotic taste." The bakery owner smiled. "That is a lemon tart. The lemon is specially imported from the kingdom of Ardagan!"

"I'll take one of this please!" I handed him a silver coin and he accepted it happily.

"Come again soon!" He called out as we left the shop.

We walked around a bit longer watching the commotion of the upper crust of society. A cloaked man entered a shoe shop. Suspicious. A weird symbol was seen on his cape at the arm and he seemed to be going to great lengths so hide his identity. "Wesley didn't seem to notice.

"It looks like we have explored all the shops here. Where to next?"

"I actually want to go the library. I heard they have a new release of John Blue's latest series." I answered.

"I'll go with you!" Wesley smiled.

We arrived at the public library. Very few people were in there in fact the only people who were was a sleeping elderly woman and her husband who was reading a book quietly next to her. They didn't seem to notice us wandering in. I searched for through the new releases until I finally came across what I was looking for.

"It's weird that recently they started stocking the library with new things when hardly anyone ever uses it!" I said in shock.

"Yeah..." Wesley's voice trailed off.

Wesley sat down by a window on a cushioned ledge. He gestured for me to sit near him. I slowly scooted myself so that I was in front of him and he rested his chin on my shoulder and closed his eyes to sleep. I just smiled and read my book. Wesley seemed pretty tired today so I was glad he could get some rest. Looking closer he had some very dark circles under his eyes. He deserved sleep.