Chapter 10: Too Good to Be True

Max's Pov
The sky slowly got lighter and lighter outside while I quietly lied on the tiled floor and waited for myself to change back. I felt a small ache start in my best again but it felt different this time. It slowly spread over me but it didn't feel oozing like last time. It felt like a wave over me almost and the aches didn't turn into pains. They just simply stayed as aches. At least this whole thing had some mercy for this transformation.

I watched myself slowly change back to my human with curiosity. All the changes that seemed to happen overnight seemed to undo themselves in reverse order from the shift into my "wolf form" I think David called it. First, my snout pushed back to my face, then the tail disappeared, and so on and so on. Eventually, the transformation was done and I was back to myself. I grabbed my set of clothes and began to get dressed.

When I was done with that I couldn't help but look into the mirror and stare at my reflection. It was almost comforting to just see that I was human until the next full moon or until I choose to practice. None of the changes were permanent, nothing's changed about me. I smiled slightly. That definitely made me feel better about this whole werewolf thing. There weren't any huge changes for me. I just turn into a wolf three times a month and that was it. That's not as scary as I had originally thought it to be.

I then walked out of the bathroom and into the cabin. Gwen was gone, presumably at the mess hall or waking up campers to start the day, but David was already there, standing at the desk looking for something. I was going to ask what he was looking for but he found it and it was just the car keys. I sat down on the bed before David came over and did the same, smiling softly.

"Hey, Max," He said gently. "How are you feeling?"

I simply shrugged and gently rubbed my eyes.

"Tired and a little sore but otherwise fine," I answered. David nodded.

"That's pretty normal after a full moon," He said. I nodded my head in response.

"And, Max, you did really well last night. I'm proud of how well you did for your first transformation. Now you don't have to worry about anything until next month," he continued.

"Yeah," I said. "That's good."

The room became comfortably silent for a few minutes after the small conversation. Then David stood up from the bed.

"I've got to run into town today for some business. Gwen's going to run activities today but I should be back by the end of the day," he said. I nodded.

"Alright," I answered. I was too tired to really question was going out to town all of a sudden. He started to walk towards the door but something came over me and I stopped him.

"Hey, David?" I asked. David looked at me and hummed softly.

"Yes, Max?" He answered. I got up from the bed and walked over to him before wrapping my arms tightly around his legs.

"Thanks," I said quietly. He froze for a moment but smiled softly.

"You're welcome."

I let go of David's legs and stopped hugging him so he could leave to do whatever he needed to. He walked out of the cabin and got into the camp mobile. A couple of seconds later, after fighting to get the car even started, he drove off. I looked around the empty cabin and sighed softly. I got up, deciding to go to breakfast and do activities at least for a while. Besides, I didn't want Nikki and Neil getting suspicious. I was already gone from the shared tent between Neil and I all night. It wouldn't be long until they figure out that something's up but I'll try my best to keep them from finding out, at least until camp was over in two days.