Chapter 5

For the first time, the studio felt small, cramped. Korra looked around at the closed-in walls and leaned down to pet Naga. The dog whimpered and leaned into her hand. "Time to take another call, girl." The commercial break would be over any second. She straightened in her chair and waited for the blinking light to inform her she was live. "Welcome back, everyone. You're just in time to hear me accept a new caller." She pressed the appropriate buttons to redirect the call. "Hello. You're on Conflict Resolution. What can I do for you, today?"

"Um, yes, hello." The voice was curt, older, feminine. The speaker hesitated. "I was calling about – about a problem."

Korra chuckled in a way she hoped would put the caller at ease. "Well, hopefully it's a problem we can talk through together on the show. Just take your time, and remember that this is a safe space. We only talk about what you want to share."

She heard the woman sigh and smiled, hoping it was a sign of relaxation. "I don't know why I decided to call in. I suppose there's really no one else to talk to." More hesitation. "There's someone I used to... have a connection with. We fell out of touch, and now she's back in town."

"Like an old friend? Or an old flame?" The room started feeling less cramped the more she talked. She especially enjoyed helping people come out of their shell. So many people called her in a state of panic or reluctance.

"The second one, I suppose." Korra could practically hear the embarrassment in the woman's voice. "We were together so long ago, and then there was nothing."

"So how has she come back into your life, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Returned from a long journey, I guess." The woman paused. Korra guessed this had to be a difficult topic for her. "She and I are just different now, I think. Maybe."

"Have you been spending time together?"

"Yes. And that's where the problem comes from. It feels like it did before she left. Before we stopped all... this." Another pause. Perhaps the woman was just naturally reticent. "I don't know where to go from here. I don't want to ruin whatever friendship we have for the sake of igniting an old flame."

Korra paused, taking a moment to collect herself. Jinora's words echoed in her mind. What would you tell yourself if you called into your radio show?

"I know it's a little scary," Korra began. "Friendships are very important, and it sounds like she was, and still is, very important to you. But at the base of some of the best relationships is friendship. Even if she doesn't return the feelings, I think you should at the least talk with her about it. Letting something like this eat at you is only going to push her further away. She probably already senses something is wrong; don't let her think it's her fault. Worse case scenario, she turns you down, but then you can move on instead of wondering what might have happened. If she is your friend, and has continued to be after all this time, then I don't see a good reason why you two can't work through this one way or another." Korra smiled at the honesty of her own advice. "And besides, you have a key advantage here. If you used to be together, I'm sure she won't be so shy about the idea of reconnecting."

"No, I'm sure she wouldn't be," the caller said in a weary voice. "But thank you for this. I think you helped me put this into perspective."

"No problem. I'm here to help people resolve on conflict at a time."

The show finished quickly after that, only having time for a few more callers before going off the air. She stretched and yawned when it was finally over. Naga stood up, tail wagging. Korra patted her. "Shall we head home, girl?" When Naga did not answer, she scratched under the dog's chin and stood up. "And I should probably start taking my own advice," she muttered.