My Addiction

Well, I wanted to post something other than a funeral scene that deals with feelings, so I'm gonna have a certain couple getting married.

Trust me, I ship marecal, but I'm that kind of person that wants to see both sides. Like the original version of Cinderella and the Walt Disney version are both fine with me (don't look it up if ya haven't already).

I'm done so here it is.

Alternate version of what could've happened after the infamous King's Cage epilogue:

Killing his father, seeing his brother in a way he never thought he would have had left him in agony. 

The pain was unbearable to say in the least.

But unexpectedly, he found a painkiller that eased it in ways never thought possible.

Cal was addicted to Mare's love, craved for her more and more. He swore to himself that he would be willing to pay any price if he could just have her.

Well, almost any. Duty called and nothing could have been done about it.

And, if he was being honest, it killed him to not have the one thing that he truly  wanted in this world. His drug was not there when he wanted it, needed it, and he was not happy with his queen Evangeline snapping at him every time she wasn't with her consort, constantly complaining on how he didn't love Mare enough.

He did. He truly did.

So without his source of happiness, Cal had to find other means of easing the pain.

.....

She hated seeing her true love parading around with his wife and his son, the heir to the throne.

True, Reds and Silvers were starting to work together, even getting along with each other. They were at peace with the Lakelands and Piedmont, but Mare's world was a dark one without the sun- no more warmth every time she went to sleep, and waking up.

She hated it.

It seemed that the queen had a mutual feeling as well. Evangeline tried to bring them back together, but even she knew it was hopeless. Strings were tied and some were cut , and there was no reversing.

Fortunately, Mare fell in love once again a few weeks later.

.....

(One year later)

Tyton was more than happy being married to Mare.

He showed how much he loved her, never letting her forget it. But after six months of marriage, she became being moody and distant. She really didn't come out of their room much, refusing to go anywhere near a source of warmth. 

He didn't really have to guess why she cried herself to sleep every night afterward, screeching on and on about how it was her fault.

He didn't have to guess why tears burst every time a fire was lit.

It wasn't exactly about Maven, though.

.....

Mare should have known. 

Should have known all along that it was bound to happen. But she didn't find out until too late.

Evangeline had sent her an urgent message to come to the palace, and saw what the fuss in the whole palace was about.

Evangeline tried to explain what happened, but Mare didn't here anything but the sound of her heartbeat getting weaker, didn't see anything but Cal's dead body.

Surrounded by bottles of alcohol.

.....

(The night before)

Cal loved his son, but he wasn't Mare's. To add to the depression, six months ago she was married.

Not to him.

Voices would whisper in his head- your fault, all your fault. She doesn't love you, she moved on to someone else that treats her well, she lives a happy life, she doesn't love you.

Scotch usually kept the voices at bay. So he would drink, and cry himself to sleep. 

He got weaker by the day, and the meetings just made it more tiring. His bedchamber was dirty, but he didn't want maids to clean it.

All because he didn't have his ray of sunshine, because he could't find happiness.

Living is not worth it anymore, he thought bitterly.

So with another bottle in hand, Cal took another swig, not caring if the world would mourn his death.

It's not like Mare would be one of them, was the last thought to cross his mind before he collapsed.

=============================================================

No joke, there were a few tears writing this. Do you know how hard it is to kill off your favorite character?

Just something to point out: I am not depressed, I just happen to have a wild imagination.

Ok. Anyway, this probably was not the best I've done (it's unedited). I wrote another funeral scene for Cal some time ago, but I wanted to write this 'cause in a way, it was different.

If ya want, I could write another alternate scene for after the epilogue.

This is the guest writer typing, and have a good day.