Chapter 4:

The ear wrenching sound ringed through the air around me.

Without warning, everyone had began running away from the Tower and back to the Center. With a pulse of instinct, I followed them.

It was hard to manage the speed of the group. Jed and Will were ahead of me. A boy and girl, the twins I was assuming, were gaining on me and the other boy, Samuel, was behind them.

"Well, come on newbie! You can run faster than that!" shouted Jed.

"You people are absolutely insane!" I shouted out of breath. My knees were on the verge of giving out. The air was sharp as it entered through my mouth.

"I'll make you a deal, if you can beat every single one of us back, I'll answer your questions, okay?" shouted Jed.

I stopped dead in my tracks, and stared at the group running. I couldn't believe a words that he had just said. Jed knew everything and I knew nothing. I needed to beat them. I needed to know.

Jed stopped at a distance before saying, "Well come on!"

The Planks were screaming around me. Their metal scrapped along a concrete floor. Seeing them move was almost unbelievable. They must have weighed tons, yet they moved like feathers.

The parts of the concrete where they went over, were browned by the rusted metal leaving its' path to return to.

"Let's go newbie!" shouted the girl.

I tried to focus on my movement. I forced my legs to move as swiftly and quickly as they could.

Come on, Jordyn. The movement is in your mind.

I noticed that I had gained speed. I passed the girl and her bother. But Will, Jed and the other boy were infront of me.

"Look at her go!" yelled Will with a hard breath, his glasses jumping on his face.

I must having been moving much faster than the moments before, passing the boy, and leaving Will and Jed ahead.

"You won't pass me newbie!" shouted Jed.

When I thought about it, I noticed that we were only a few feet from the almost touching Planks. Those Planks happened to be the last set before we reached the Center.

With one more urge, I would be able to pass them all. So with any strength left, I lunged forward with all my might, landing inside the Center and passing Will and Jed.

I lied on my back, gasping my breaths. A slight smile grew on my face.

Everyone else ran in seconds after me. After all this confusion, I remembered what pride felt like. Will approached me looking a sort of annoyed.

"Tromper," Will said with a roll of eyes.

Tromper?

The word seemed easy out of his mouth. I stood to look him in the eye when I spotted Jed approaching. Will walked away, leaving me to wonder of his unfamiliar word.

"Hey Jed!" I shouted. I caught his attention, still feeling the pride of beating him.

My breathing was loud and so was Jed's.

Jed walked to me and said, "I know you're curious. And don't worry about Will, he doesn't like being beat.

Let's go to my cabin to talk. Not everyone here knows the things I know." He had become solemn.

I now wondered if I even wanted to know what he knew now.

I followed him to his cabin and when I entered, I was shocked. The air lost its coolness at the sight of guns, knives and other weapons laying upon a table.