Chapter 16:

Before anyone had the chance to question the new strangers, Jed shouted, "What the hell is going on in this place?! What kind of freak show is this?!"

I fell back as he pushed from me. Jed continued screaming and shouting at the strangers.

The man and woman seemed hurt at Jed's statement. As if someone had told them a horrible insult.

"Excusez-moi? What is going on?" asked the woman confusedly, her accent quivering. She held the man, gripping his upper arm. We stared at the two in the same confusion that they stared at us with. The man looked oddly threatened and a little angry.

Not the strangers, nor the Conquerors, had the guts to move. Instead, we all stared at one another with an frusterated confusion. The atmosphere had grown weary and silent, inching its way into our veins.

Finally, the woman spoke. "I am Madame Lambert and this is my co-worker Monsieur Eppinette... Might I ask what has happened to Médecin Hugo? Pardon my French, Dr. Hugo?" asked the woman as she corrected herself.

The woman had terror in her face as she stared at Dr.Hugo's dead body and my bloody hands. I continued to stare at her, as Max helped me to stand. I never looked away from her, studying her and the man.

The woman, Madame Lambert, stood at the same height as the man. I could tell because she was not in heels. Her hair was black and slicked back on the sides. It was long and straight, ending below her elbows. The woman's face was thin, slimming at her cheeks.

Her body was as thin as facial features were. Her collarbone was bulging under her skin. And her skin was a light olive color.

Her dress was loosly fitted on the top and tighter at the bottom; the sleeves ended at her wrists and the end of the dress at her knees.

The man seemed barely different. His hair was black and slicked back as well; it was short around his head and taller on the top. His facial features were thin but more squared.

His body was squared at the top and thinning as it went down. His skin tone matched the woman's olive like shade. The man's suit was fitted well, ending in white cuffs. The two seemed to be the same age; they were no older than thirty-five.

"She killed... Dr. Hugo killed-" I tried to speak. My voice cracked as I spoke.

"Faye. Médecin Hugo killed Faye?" asked the man, Monsieur Eppinette, as he gestured to Faye's lifeless body.

The two strangers grew sorrowful as they looked to Faye. They looked as though someone had drained the life from them. The death seemed to cut them as it did the Conquerors.

And the Conquerors looked at them confusedly. How do they know Faye's name?

I took a step towards the strangers, examining their movements. I tried studying them. I was afraid for the Conquerors. I didn't want anything bad to happen again. It couldn't be long before one of us had a mental breakdown.

"How'd you know her name...?" I asked quietly.

Madame Lambert cocked her head, as if not understanding my words. Bewilderment covered her face as well as the mans.

"I know all of you Conquerors. You are Jordyn. That's Jedediah, Maximus... William didn't make it, did he?" asked Madame Lambert.

I was surprised and I stared at her in shock. She knows all of us... How? What is going on?

"Come with us," said Monsieur Eppinette as he waved us toward them, "We will keep you safe."

I shot him an angry glare. Knowing all to well not to trust them.