Chapter 8:

I opened my eyes to bright light shining in my face. Everything was blury and the air was cold. The sounds around me were muffled and quiet. Then it snapped.

"Jedediah!" I screamed, "Jedediah, where are you?!"

I tried to stand but someone held my shoulders down.

"Jordyn, calm down, I'm all right," said a male voice. It was Jed.

My breathing was panicked but I was able to control it. "We survived a night in the first Block."

Everything began to fall into place. I killed a Mutator and was the first to do so.

I looked around eagerly.

I have to get out of here. I need to find that Mutator.

I stood quickly and everything turned black. I lost my balance and fell over but was caught by Jed.

"Everyone, out. Jordyn you need to rest," Jed said as he helped me sit.

My vision cleared once again as I watched the many Conquerors leave the room. I heard someone leaving the room talking about the "monster" they caught.

"Monster? Hey you, come here. What monster? The Mutator?" I asked. The Conqueror walked back to me and kneeled next to me.

"Yeah, the Mutator. We strung it up in the trees, it's hanging there. Strung by the neck, Jed hung it up," he responded.

I waved him away and the rest of Conquerors left, all but Jed. I watched Jed shrug and rub his chin.

Jed was seated next to me, quiet. I noticed something however, Jed was shaking. His thumbs ran over each other as his body shook in the cold air. Only, I knew it wasn't the cold making him shake.

"Jedediah-" I began, but he stopped me.

"Jordyn, you saved my life. You help me surive, the first to do it. I can't believe it. I was so afraid of that thing, afraid of her. I didn't know what to do," he said, "But things are going to change now. We don't know what this could mean for us or the other Conquerors."

I gave him a blank stare. I could tell that Jed knew that I couldn't just sit here.

"Let's go see this damn Mutator," I told him, grabbing a hold of his shoulder so I could stand.

I could feel how sore my body was as I stood. I ached everywhere, especially my left hand.

I looked at my hand, my palm was blue and purple and my fingers shot pain as I bent them.

"You refused to let go of the gun," Jed said. I gave him a short look before turning my back to him and walking to the door that the other Conquerors walked out of.

It was a little before noon, I could tell by the sun's position in the sky. One of the Conquerors said that the Mutator was hanging in a tree, I just didn't know which one.

I turned around to ask Jed where the Mutator body was when I saw him pointing a gun at me.

I took a step back. What's going on?

I put my hands up slowly, afraid of his next move. I went to speak but I couldn't.

Then I noticed his eyes, they weren't looking at me. I turned my head slowly to look behind me. It was there, in the distance, that I noticed Dr. Hugo and her body guards watching us.

The Outsiders were back.

I felt my anger begin to boil inside me. I'm so done with you people and everything you do!