Chapter 3:

I woke up to a horrid scream in the distance. It filled the atmosphere with horror and terror. Katelyn told me to expect that, apparently it happens when people are trapped in the first Block.

I had been here for very little time. After I had awoken, Jed and Katelyn gave me a hammock and told me to expect the most confusion I've ever had in the next few days as I settle in.

My every breath was shaky and silent in the night. I was exhausted and confused.

I rose from my hammock and let my feet touch the cold, wet grass as I placed them on the ground. I couldn't sleep. Not with the past hours that I had had.

I closed my eyes however, listening to the surrounding sounds. I thought that I had heard metal clinks in the distance, but I wasn't sure.

There was a faint wind as well and the sounds of others sleeping; some with each other, others separate.

I tried to concentrate on my mind. I couldn't remember the involvement of anything. I knew I lied in a hammock, but I couldn't remember how I knew that. It was an odd sensation. I couldn't remember anything and the feeling of knowing your surroundings and not being able to understand them was unbearable.

I walked out of the tree line where many hammocks were and then into the open. The smell of mildew was thick in the air.

At least fifty different people were here. All genders, colors, and various in ages.

I only officially knew two people; Katelyn who seemed at least seventeen years old and Jedediah, who seemed at least eighteen years old. Everyone else seemed like a blur, as if they didn't really exsist. I even felt as though I didn't exist.

No one seemed to be awake so I walked until I was in the middle of a field. It seemed to be where they had grown crops.

There in the quiet, I tried to manage my memory. I tried thinking of the years that I had once lived. However, nothing was in my mind. It was like my mind was a library filled with books, only the book's pages were blank.

I could see my breath and actually hear my thoughts. My feelings were made of nothing but fear and confusion.

"Jordyn?" asked a rough voice. I jumped but was relieved to see Jed.

How'd he know I was awake?

He sat next to me and stayed silent for a few minutes. I was almost too afraid to say anything to him. I had personally witnessed his mental break down. He seemed so serious and I was too vulnerable.

"Great first day, huh newbie?" he asked. I could hear the sarcasm in his voice. I didn't want to answer him, I just wanted to hear the silence.

It was when he nudged me that I finally forced my voice out.

"I'm still a bit confused. It's hard to have questions when no one remembers the answers," I said quietly. I had forgotten the sound of my voice. I hadn't spoken since the incident with him and I wasn't planning on speaking. Until now of course.

"We learn as we go. I would know, I've been here for four years."

"Four years?" I asked and repeated.

I wanted to ask him about the girl, Carol, and how long she had been here but it didn't seem appropriate for the situation. I couldn't imagine someone having to be here for four years. This placed seemed like a prison, I was surprised they weren't handcuffed.

"So... This place, Survival, what is it?" I asked.

The word Survival seemed natural out of my mouth but made me uncomfortable.