Chapter 214

"A snake...?" Emilia wondered as the pyramid started rising up in the sky . Ed and the others continued to move while monitoring the movements of the serpent . The serpent started rising up in the sky until its shadow reached Ed's group and covered them from the sun . Then, it seemed to be staring in their direction . After a couple of seconds, it returned its body to the ground .

The serpent started to slither in their direction . Although it was moving at a fast pace, its movements were calm and serene . The sand particles that flickered around its body reflected the light of the sun, giving it a majestic feeling . Not much time passed before it stood in front of Ed and the others .

Although Emilia was much stronger right now, she still felt nervous . The gigantic body of the serpent was nothing to scoff at, as every time it let out its tongue, it released a massive amount of QI with it . Bella couldn't decide on whether she liked the serpent or not . She was massively impressed with its beautiful scales, even though it seemed to have fought many battles since scars covered its body . But, at the same time, the serpent released an intimidating feeling .

Ed took the initiative as he took four big strides before standing in front of the serpent . Ed looked minuscule and was so far from the eyes of the serpent, yet the two of them seemed like they were seeing eye to eye . Ed revealed a big warm smile, and said, "It's been a long time, Mehen..."

The Great Serpent Mehen . The serpent that fought Ed and lost, leaving a promise unfulfilled between the two of them until this day . He was the friend that Ed was looking to meet .

"Ah, it's you guys . How have you been?" Emilia and Bella could feel the sound waves of the gigantic serpent enter their bodies and shake their hearts . It was the same feeling when listening to loudspeakers in a concert . However, that didn't attract their attention . It wasn't the fact that Ed knew it well enough to call it by name either . It was the fact that the serpent treated Ed and the others like an afterthought .

"...You never change, do you...You've been fighting hard, haven't you?" Ed noticed the cuts and removed scales on the body of Mehen . He knew that Mehen had a molting skill that allowed him to negate all damage, but it was at the cost of his QI . The fact that he had these many injuries meant that he fought, after using that skill and still didn't heal .

Mehen, in order to fulfill the promise between him and Ed, fought for over a year non-stop . He killed cultivators that were as strong as Heavenly Establishment level 10 by sacrificing his body parts many times . Sometimes he needed to hide for weeks from strong opponents . Other times, he didn't eat as he fought wave after wave of enemies . Mehen waited for Ed . He didn't care how long it took . He waited . And now, his savior had arrived . Although his nonchalant attitude was ingrained in his personality, he was actually happy down to the last remaining scale on his body .

Mehen noticed Bella staring at him, so he stared back . Ed noticed this and chuckled . He knew about Bella's love for animals, monsters, and the unknown . She was one of the few people that actually enjoyed hanging around with Sieg . Sometimes, they would call him weird titles together .

Mehen flattened his head on the sand near Bella and said, "Get on and sit tight . " Bella did as she was told . She couldn't jump to his head, so she flew there instead .

"You want to go too?" Ed said while looking at the bewildered Emilia . Out of worry about Bella, or out of curiosity, Emilia decided to go as well . Mehen could tell that Emilia was important to Ed, so he didn't object .

Once the two of them were sitting comfortably, Mehen shot his head towards the sky . He went at a speed faster than anything the two of them had ever experienced . Once his whole body was standing like a pole, he brought his head down at an equally impressive speed .

"Again, again!!" Bella seemed really excited at the game they had played . It was like an amusement park, but much scarier and not really safe . Emilia descended and bowed her head politely towards Mehen . She didn't seem to like the trip as much as Bella .

After playing for a couple of times, Bella finally had enough . When she descended, she was so dizzy that she stumbled when trying to walk . Ed and the others then started to talk with Mehen . Merry and Agumon didn't know him, so Ed told them about the story .

"So, are you ready to leave this place?" Ed finally brought it up .

"..." Mehen looked around, at the sandy surroundings, at his own injured body, and finally at Ed and said, "Yes . I wish to see what kind of world you'll show me!" For the first time, Mehen showed his genuine emotions when talking, or rather hissing .

'You heard the ma-serpent!' Ed contacted the system with his mind as he flew towards Mehen's head . As Ed's hand and Mehen's head connected, a bright light surrounded them . In the next instant, Mehen was no longer there . Ed immediately checked his Inventory and crushed Mehen's card . The Great Serpent Mehen's black glistening body appeared in its full glory . There were no injuries on his body, and his scales were shining .

But, that wasn't all . Thanks to the conditions set by the system, his cultivation state increased by many levels . He leveled up to Immortal Establishment level 5, same as Ed's other monsters . A massive amount of QI erupted out of his body, sending the sand around flying away . Ed teleported in front of Bella and Emilia, and released his own KI in a radius around them, protecting them from the sandstorm . Ed's monsters were able to protect themselves .

After a little while, Mehen controlled his new found powers . Due to his QI release, they were now in the middle of a hole, surrounded by sand in every direction . Mehen reduced his size until he was simply an oversized snake . He rolled around the arm of Ed as he rested his head on Ed's shoulder .

As Mehen rubbed Ed's face with his cold scales, Ed told everyone, "Our job is done . We're leaving the tower!"