Chapter 277

Vortigern stood still, as still as a mountain . His hand clutched Erykytos stronger by the passing, leaving a blue bruise on it . He turned to Ed, and with eyes full of energy, and a smile as radiant as the cowering sun above them, he said, "I've already taken a look at your father...You should rest, for now, my dear boy, you've done enough . "

Ed turned his head so fast it almost came off . He stared at his father, who had been laid to the ground . He looked as though he was sleeping peacefully, while Merry and Suika, and the others, sat next to him . A little to his right was Dawlish's body; there he lay to the ground as well . Ed felt a sense of ease pass through his body, and his face broke into a smile for a second . He breathed in slowly, and as he expelled his breath, he crushed a Healing card . His body instantly felt rejuvenated .

The aching pain subsided and his famished Ki reservoirs were filled up instantly as he drank more than a dozen potions . He was the shortest of the three, and even though he tried to look tall and strong, he shied away by a long margin . He didn't retreat, however, as he activated his Berserk skill once more, twice . His level shot up instantly to Immortal Establishment level 10 . The peaceful feeling in his body turned into pain and suffering, a dozen times more than before . His skin cracked and released red fumes . The blood inside of his body evaporated due to his overwhelming Ki .

He was now only a little shorter compared to them .

"It's useless, my boy, it's too much of a difference," a sudden voice said . Ed turned his head and gazed at the figure that appeared behind him . Ryuunosuke Nakamura walked to the group of people, his steps wobbly and unsteady . But even then, he stood taller than Ed .

"Even you, Nakamura, stand in front of me today..." Erykytos withdrew his hand from Vortigern's clutches and sighed . "Have you shame, both of you? After all you've done to me and my family, you still want to stand in my way? Even after I spared your continent?"

"But you didn't spare it, did you? You sent a whole army to subjugate it, but it failed nonetheless, all thanks to this young man," Ryuunosuke said as he patted Ed's shoulder, which caused the latter immense pain .

"That's because I knew it would be repelled . That way no one would dare and try to invade you any sooner than your death, Nakamura," Erykytos explained his motives . "But you, you've waged war on me, in my home, and killed my son, and almost finished off my grandson . Were my daughter and wife not enough?"

Erykytos' voice cracked as he spoke . It was the first time the man showed any weakness ever since Ed had first laid his eyes on him . Even a stab into the heart couldn't move the mountain, nay the planet-sized human, but as he reminisced about his dead family, his old eyes let the tears pass without resistance .

Ed stood still, rooted in his place . He didn't understand what he meant . Daughter, Wife? Who was he talking about? Who killed them? It couldn't have been his grandfather, there was no way!

But, the look on both Vortigern and Ryuunosuke told Ed the truth . They'd done, and they were not proud . This was the reason Vortigern told Ed he wouldn't join in the war .

"I regret my choice every day," Vortigern said . "I stopped sleeping for over 50 years because I always remembered their faces . I never meant to have them killed . But, I'm certain you don't wish to hear anything about that..."

"Why not? Keep talking . That way I won't regret tearing you apart," Erykytos' viciously expanded his Qi . Everyone in the vicinity felt suffocated, except Vortigern, Ryuunosuke, and Johan, who seemed to be spared from his grandfather's wrath .

"Did you know that she was pregnant at the time? Once I found her body, I was glad, you know, I could still save the child . That's why I went into hiding for a hundred years . It took me 60 years just to be able to save the child who hadn't even formed properly inside of his mother's womb . And yet, after all, I couldn't save him today . You killed him, no your son killed him . Though it was a noble death, it is still death . And I won't forgive you for that, as long as I'm still alive..." Erykytos' Qi receded .

Ed tried to breathe in after holding it what seemed to be an eternity, but he found himself in the sky at the very next instant . Ryuunosuke hoisted him and flew up while Vortigern retreated to the back in order to block Erykytos' attack, which Ed couldn't even see or feel .

The surrounded turned into cinders almost immediately . No one used any Fire magic . It was simply their Qi that burned away . Erykytos disappeared for an instant and was seen hundreds of meters away holding his grandson's body and sword . Then, he turned back to fight Vortigern .

The two of them moved faster than the eyes could see, and faster than time could follow . It seemed as though their attack connected long before they made their move .

Ed stayed hovering in the air, stuck in his thought . He'd always thought they were on the right . After all, his loved ones were robbed from him by the Blood sect . But now? He knew that Erykytos had right to revenge as he did .

However, Ed's eyes burrowed and he steeled his resolve . There was no right or wrong . It was a war, and there was no justice in war . The one who won would tell his tales as the vanquisher, the conqueror, and the just .

Ed opened every pore in his body and pushed his Ki to the limit of Immortal Establishment . Out of his body came a green hue filled with power and authority . High above his head, a long green colored eastern dragon formed .

Due to Ed's soul being forcefully upgraded to Immortal Establishment, the dragon, which was his Avatar, grew as well . It was different from the usually summoned monsters Ed commanded .

The dragon opened its mouth wide as a pure white concentration of Qi formed . In an instant, it targeted Erykytos and attacked him, all while Vortigern was spared .

Erykytos tried to move away, but it was too late . He felt the white energy pierce through his skin and his blood started to boil . It pushed him deep into the ground while damaging him every second . His Qi was depleted quite quickly, as it protected him from major damage .

He didn't have to worry long about it since the dragon dissipated into the air . Ed, who was past his limit, plummeted to the ground, while Erykytos rose into the air .

However, before he could get far, a claw as big as a mansion came up from the hole in the ground and struck the defenseless Erykytos . The claw was black in color, and it belonged to Entei, the Calamity Black Dragon .

Yet, before anyone could celebrate, the black dragon's body was sent flying into the air . Ed could only watch in horror, as he felt a murky and dark Qi rise from under the hole . It was stronger than Erykytos, Vortigern and Ryuunosuke's Qi . It was the strongest anything Ed had ever seen .

The entity that rose from the hole was pitch black in color . Spikes protruded out of its body, which looked like a worm, squishy and disgusting . It had a skeletal head with two great horns . In its hand was a sword bigger than Ed, yet it was only half the length of the entity .

'Is that Erykytos' Avatar?!' Ed thought in horror .

"Ryuunosuke...it seems that I must die today," said Vortigern . "I'll leave the rest to you . "

Vortigern didn't wait to hear his friend's answered as he charged towards the entity . Down from the hole, Erykytos flew at his highest speed charging towards the entity as well, trying to reach it before Vortigern could .