14. All eyes on you

You were never allowed to be alone. There was always someone in the room with you, and it allowed you to get to know each member at the agency. Of course, most of them wouldn't actually talk to you (such as Ranpo, who you could tell couldn't care less about you or your situation), but their different personalities were obvious either way. You didn't think they had an exact schedule for watching you, since you didn't notice any type of pattern, so you were sure it was whoever was stuck doing nothing. As of now, you'd been there for a little over 36 hours, and there had been only one exception to the random scheduled watch. Dazai was there 3 times a day, without fail. He gave you food once a day, and the other two times he talked or just sat there reading his small red book of suicide. Every hour he spent with you were the most interesting yet most nerve-wracking than anyone else's.

Atsushi had just finished his turn watching you, indicated by the door turning and a cheerful Dazai walking in.

"Atsushiiiii it's my turn to watch our pretty assassin!" He calls out, unbothered by the white-haired boy's look of distaste you'd only seen in Akutagawa for you when you first arrived at the Port Mafia.

"I don't know why you're so interested in her, Dazai...she's Port Mafia, and she doesn't feel any regret for what she's done." Atsushi mutters as he gets up from his seating place, and walks towards Dazai and the door.

Dazai frowns a little and watches him leave, sighing in defeat as he drops down next to you on the hospital bed they never moved you from, a much closer distance than Atsushi and anyone else wanted to get to you.

"To be honest, I don't think Atsushi has ever been so disappointed in anyone before like he is with you" he points out, watching you make a face before giving you a small teasing smile.

"I think he rather liked you before" he adds jokingly, tilting his head dramatically.

You roll your eyes. "Are you sure it wasn't you? I'm starting to think you like sitting here watching me more than doing your actual job."

Dazai chuckles, looking down before placing his soft brown eyes back at you. "Kunikida hates when I come here. I think that's part of the appeal."

"Part of it? Everyone else hates me and don't know why I haven't been taken to the authorities yet. You don't just bring me breakfast, but you sit here more times than anyone else and you talk to me." You keep nagging him, bored out of your mind and hoping it would take you somewhere.

You didn't think it would work so well.

"Would it be so bad if you entice me, [f/n]? I can't help what I like!" Dazai says so in a way that it's hard to tell if he's still joking around, or if there was some truth to it.

"And what do you like?"

"All women of course!"

At that, you can't help but laugh. Most of the time, Dazai just talked about suicide and death, but there were times where he was so ridiculous you wondered if he was slightly out of his mind.

"Why are you laughing?" Dazai pouts with exaggeration, shifting his body so that it was fully towards you, his shadow looming over you.

"You're ridiculous." You state, glancing away

"So are you. You haven't given up on someone coming for you. And you still won't tell me who you're waiting for"

You feel a pang of sadness at the thought that it had been almost a full 48 hours and you hadn't heard anything from anyone. You had gone from hoping nobody found you, to wondering if Chūya really was so mad for what you had done that he decided finding you wasn't worth anything to him, and apparently not to the rest of the mafia.