15. Found

Who?

That was your first thought when you heard the news. Who has been made to take you back to the Port Mafia? Or, who chose to? Real or not, you pleaded to any superior being above to let it not be Chūya. Not after what you had started with Dazai. You compared them, and you let yourself want both. After working so hard for the control, the power you've gained, you let yourself slip. They both now infected your very being, and to see them both in the same place would be unnerving. You didn't even know what anything meant yet, and you didn't want to think of the possibilities.

"We should have had her locked up." The person at the door says resentfully, and you recognize them as Tanizaki, the one that had caught you.

Dazai gives you one last look of unsatisfied longing and regret before shifting off the bed, walking over towards Tanizaki and saying something to him in a low voice, to quiet for you to hear. Tanizaki nods, and gives Dazai space so he slips out of the room without another word, leaving Tanizaki with you alone.

"You're supposed to come with me. Looks like we're making a bargain."

Before you could ask any questions, Tanizaki pulls out a gun and points it at you, beckoning you to follow him. He then assured you he wasn't supposed to hurt you without good reason, and that Dazai had advised him to take all the precautions necessary to make sure you don't harm anyone or escape before they make the deal with the Port Mafia.

Dazai.

Your stomach churns at the sound of his name reaching your ears like the melody of a song you longed to erase.

You planned this all didn't you? You son of a bitch. Stop getting in my head!

"How did Dazai plan this?" You blurt out, starting to feel insecurity eat away at you.

"I don't know. But he told us they'd come for you and then we could get the information we need for a case from them. Ranpo warned him that it could go a different way but Dazai was so sure you'd-" Tanizaki stops, covering his mouth with one hand, keeping the gun up with another.

It's a secret, and Dazai, I hate you for using me like this.

"I'm not going to be some pawn."

"Im not going to let you-"

Interrupting Tanizaki, a singular loud booming noise came from the outside, and you dreaded knowing there was only one person you knew capable of making the ground shake on command with one touch of manipulated gravity.

Chūya. Why did they send him. I'm going to seem pathetic.

"I don't need you to let me do anything." You say to Tanizaki, rushing close enough to him to knock out the gun in his hand with the few moments of distraction he had, and you take hold of him before he can disappear and pull what he did on you the morning you killed the rogue.

You smile in triumph, the blue aura that encased those victim to your ability Annabel Lee now surrounding Tanizaki, a look of shock and panic on his face.

"You've failed" you tell him softly and let go.

Tanizaki hugs his arms around him, a sudden grief seeming to overtake him. He runs a hand through his hair in a state of angry frustration, his eyes wide, looking all over the place for anything to help them numb the pain of an inexplicable loss.

Did you predict this, Dazai?

You watch the boy struggle, taking small steps back to run the opposite way and escape without needing to go through the agency. Without thinking twice, you take the gun and shoot at his leg before running, disabling your ability only when you were sure you'd make it out without Tanizaki tailing you.