3.| LET THE BULLETS FLY

ERIS HAD HOPED FOR THE SCREAMS.

The moment the shadows swarmed over living flesh, cries of pure terror shattered the air. She gazed toward the street to see a gathering crowd. Seeing what was happening, the screams and shouts began to spread.

Soon, she heard the sound of sirens.

Smiling, she called a tendril of darkness to her hand. It nuzzled her palm, as if it had a mind of her own. Three of the Watchdogs desperately clawed at their skin, trying to tear the shadows off. But the darkness was hungry. And no mortal will could stop it.

Exhaustion ate at the back of her mind, despite her smile. The shadows, despite bending to her will, still sometimes took all her control. All of her energy.

And things could change drastically if she lost control.

Eris snuffed the tendril out.

One man, she left alive. His feet were glued to the ground, terror filled face turned a ghostly shade of white. He whimpered as she approached.

"P-please."

"Don't worry," she said. "You've got a chance."

"To... to what?"

"To survive, of course."

She flicked her wrist. The screams of his companions cut off with three sharp cracks. A sob broke free of her captive's lips. "What do you want from me?"

"I want you to fight," she said. "For your life."

He visibly stiffened in fear. His Watchdog mask had fallen crooked and she pulled it the rest of the way off, letting it drop to the street. The man underneath wasn't much prettier, eyes red and bloodshot. He was shaking.

Maybe she should have felt guilt. But Eris felt nothing.

Only mild distaste.

How many Inhumans had looked like this man and still died? She brushed the thought off. That wasn't her problem. Nor her motive.

"P-please," he said again. "Please let me go."

"You kill me, you go free."

"I... I can't."

"You sure thought you could earlier. What, are you lost without your buddies? Your guns?" Eris stepped back, jerking her head toward the fallen pistols. "Go for it, pal."

His eyes darted from her to the weapons. There was no trust in his eyes. Rolling her eyes, she lowered her hands and the shadows ebbed away.

"No powers."

"W-why?"

"It's a challenge," she smirked. "That extra rush of adrenaline. Gotta love it."

Once more, his eyes flitted to the gun. Eris stood there and watched him tense. Gather what bravery he had left.